Just getting started

New to the forums? Introduce yourself and find out how it all works.
khughes1

Just getting started

Post by khughes1 »

Hi All,

My name is Kelly, am 27 and I have just started the Access to Physiotherapy course. I am hoping to erol in Uni next September, but as I work full time this may be a bit of a stretch. I have decided to do this course as I am currently under treat of being made redundant, which has made me look at my career options. I have often thought about going to Uni over the years, but never did anything about it, so now I am being pro-active.
I have just started the communications module, so if there is anyone doing the same course as me, I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on the topic.

Cheers guys. :D

Mrsjprice
Site Admin

Re: Just getting started

Post by Mrsjprice »

Hiya and welcome to the DLC!

Good luck with your studies.

Jade

rml123

Post by rml123 »

Hi Kelly

I've just finished my Access to Physiotherapy course and have a 'conditional' place with Coventry to start this September. I've met the grades stated on my conditions, so just waiting for my certificate to make it all official. Will be handing my notice in to work in 4/5 weeks... what a pleasant but scary thought that is at the same time!

I worked full-time as well and did the course in 9 months and had to redo Level 2 as my GCSEs apparently were too old LOL (I'm only 29!) You've started at the right time... it is definately doable as long as you are disciplined and set time aside each week. I'd definately set yourself your own timetable/deadlines for each assignment so you keep yourself on track. Comms was a long winded couple of units, but can be enjoyable. Don't panic too much if it seems to be taking a while...a lot of research and personal thought goes in to it. It will really help you out when you do your UCAS application and interviews and you'll really appreciate it.

Doing this course was the best thing I've done in a long while... Good Luck and if you'd like any tips relating to the Physio route in particular, feel free to PM me as I'm not always on the forum now, but the system will notify me that you've left me a message if you use this.

Becky

khughes1

Post by khughes1 »

Hi Becky,

Congratulations on completing the course and getting into uni, bet thats an amazing feeling. One I hope to experience this time next year.

Thanks for the re assurance, its good to know that you completed the course sucessful in 9months. Wish i had given myself a little bit more time to do the course, but im sure when im up and running it will get easier. Im the same with everything, it take me days to get something started, but once I have am flying. Think im going to have to re do the level 2, my GCSE's will prob be a bit old aswel and cant even find my certificates. :?

Thanks you so much for offering your support. :D Hand your notice in with pride and hope all goes great with uni.

Thanks
Kelly

tmroberts

Post by tmroberts »

Hi Kelly,

I started the course in April and as I'm quite a bit older (40!) I had to redo the Level 2 modules (English, Maths, IT). I passed those and found out yesterday that I've got two distinctions for the Communications module. I'm sure you'll be fine, once you start seeing the results and passing modules, it really motivates and spurs you onto the next one. Fortunately I don't work at the moment (I have two young children in full-time education), so I have had lots of time during the schoolday to do the work, but as long as you try and stick to the deadlines on the Learning Plan, you should have no problem!

For the communication module, I did the Genetic Engineering option and completed an essay about stem cell research. I found reading about and researching the topic fascinating and if you choose a subject that really interests you, it motivates you even more. I've just started the biology module (I have an A-level in Human Biology), but as it was over 20 years ago, I really need to recap on everything. What do you want to study at University? I want to do either a Bio-medical Science course or Human Biology degree (both preferably part-time). I was a Legal Secretary for 14 years and really don't want to go back into that type of work. I think hitting 40 made me think about what I really want to do with the rest of my working life.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the course! Will probably see you again at some point on the forums (which I have found to be really useful when I'm stuck on a particular question or just want a bit of moral support!)

Tracy :)

khughes1

Post by khughes1 »

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the reassurance. Ive just submitted my communications module for some feedback, not 100% confident with it, but will see. Am just starting stats and this is cooking my head totally. Still getting used to the forum at the minute, but hopefully will get the hang of it soon. Im hoping to go to Cardiff Uni to do Physiotherapy next sept, just been made redundant, so will have some time on my hands to power through some work. My biggest problem im find at the min, is not being used to doing coursework again. i read questions, think I understand them then read something on the forum and then im totally confused . :?
Ive been in the Welfare to Work sector for the last 8 years and its not a very happy place to be. Ive thought about Physiotherapy a number of times, but never done anything about it, so this time I am... :D

Return to “Welcome Room”