Perspectives and behavior TAQ 1 part 2

fcarcher89

Perspectives and behavior TAQ 1 part 2

Post by fcarcher89 »

Hi All,
I am having trouble locating the evidence online to evaluate for this question.
Do I need to find the original work of the theorists, or just have an idea of their studies? If it is the latter, I am unsure of how to cite it?
I work from home as have 2 small children, therefore limited only to what I can find online as I can't afford to buy books, and it is difficult to get to the library.
Thank in advance,
Felicity

Rebecca Smith

Re: Perspectives and behavior TAQ 1 part 2

Post by Rebecca Smith »

Hi
Its not necessary to look at the original works in full detail - the evaluation needs to be related to the method of data gathering so if for instance the method is a case study you would look at the strengths and weaknesses of this.

Sometimes you read about a psychologist being written about by another psychologist - in this case you reference like this;
In text......
Hotopf et.al., 2000, cited by Szumukler and Holloway noted that after the implementation of the Mental Health Act (1983) that there was a 63% increase in compulsory admissions between 1984 and 1996 <!--

and in the reference list.....
Szmuker, G and Holloway, F. ‘Mental Health Law: Discrimination or Protection?’ Maudsley Discussion Paper no.10. [online]. Available at: http://admin.iop.kcl.ac.uk/maudsley-pub ... /mdp10.pdf

Or like this in the text
Hotopf et.al., 2000 noted that after the implementation of the Mental Health Act (1983) that there was a 63% increase in compulsory admissions between 1984 and 1996

and then like this in the reference list

Hotopf et all 2000 as cited in Szmuker, G and Holloway, F. ‘Mental Health Law: Discrimination or Protection?’ Maudsley Discussion Paper no.10. [online]. Available at: http://admin.iop.kcl.ac.uk/maudsley-pub ... /mdp10.pdf

fcarcher89

Post by fcarcher89 »

Thanks for your help, much more clear now.

Bane Harper

Post by Bane Harper »

No original resources are not always required ....you can also take help from google scholar and other open resources

Return to “Perspectives in Psychology”