Taq 1 (a) perspectives and behaviour

lisarogo

Taq 1 (a) perspectives and behaviour

Post by lisarogo »

Ok, so I have handed in my assessment but had it returned for a re sub on TAQ 1(a)
I have managed to do the ]Analysis of the perspective to effectively explain the cause of OCD but im really struggling with the Key characteristics of the perspective used to explain the cause of OCD.

I just don't understand what im suppose to write. Any example would really be appreciated

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Taq 1 (a) perspectives and behaviour

Post by Karen Hayday »

lisarogo wrote:Ok, so I have handed in my assessment but had it returned for a re sub on TAQ 1(a)
I have managed to do the ]Analysis of the perspective to effectively explain the cause of OCD but im really struggling with the Key characteristics of the perspective used to explain the cause of OCD.

I just don't understand what im suppose to write. Any example would really be appreciated
So as you know mental illness can bee looked at from different perspectives such as the cognitive, behavioural etc and each perspective looks at OCD in different ways. So the biological looks at the way the brain works and then seeks to interpret the mental health problem from a biochemistry point of view. The behavioural perspective looks at the actual behaviour and then seeks to find a behaviourist way of modifying it The question is therefore asking how the perspective sees (characterises) OCD and how this is then used to explain the illness

Hope that this helps

Karen
DLC Executive Director

lisarogo

Post by lisarogo »

Ah ok so im basically saying for example how Cognitive theory is identified?

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

not quite identified, but its characteristics in relation to OCD. If you still have problems do contact your tutor or pm me telling me who your tutor is and i will ask them to contact you.

Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

Rach182003

Post by Rach182003 »

Hey, I have been tacking this for weeks now and don't seem to be moving on. I have so much information whizzing around. I have wrote about 2 perspectives so far and have 1400 words! that is the total for the whole of TAQ 1! am i reading to much into this? Do i need to cover every characteristic for each perspective or is there a recommended amount? i feel if i don't cover all of them its going to look like i don't understand! Arghh help! any advice appreciated. Rachel

Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi

Just write about the main points!

So, in one column, explain how perspectives explain OCD, then in the second column you need to analyse how effective this explanation is!
Believe you can and you're halfway there :dance:

Received an offer for Forensic Psychology (2017) :D

Rebecca Smith

Post by Rebecca Smith »

Hi
It does sound like you are trying to write too much! The biological perspective for instance has genes hormones nerotransmitters brain structures...... you could brifly explain which neurotransmitters and brain structures are involved in OCD for example

Rach182003

Post by Rach182003 »

Thank you :) reading through i do think i have wrote far to much, i have also covered treatments in the key characteristics and im assuming this is not needed. I was just worried if i didn't include it all it would look like i didn't fully understand. Am i right to think say for cognitive in characteristics i can briefly explain hyper vigilance and memory and then in the analysis write the strengths/weaknesses and the evidence to support and not support it. Does that make sense? i do not have to include treatments at all.
Rachel

Karen

Post by Karen »

That's correct Rach :thumbup:

SarahHS

Post by SarahHS »

I'm having problems with this one, how did you get on Lisa?
I'm finding I'm buried under a pile of research and struggling to identify the information I need. Going round in circles! That's just TAQ1 part A, dreading essay.

Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi Sarah

What is it about TAQ 1a are you not understanding?

In the first column you just need to: - explain how perspectives explain OCD

In the second column you just need to: - analyse how effective this explanation

SarahHS

Post by SarahHS »

Hi Karen
It's the anaylsing part, I'm now pretty happy with what I've put for the key characteristics. Do I explain whether the approach effectively explains OCD, in other words explain strengths and weaknesses, and do I bring in studies to support? I think I am confusing analysing and evaluating.
Think I may be over thinking!
Sarah

Karen

Post by Karen »

SarahHS wrote:Hi Karen
It's the anaylsing part, I'm now pretty happy with what I've put for the key characteristics. Do I explain whether the approach effectively explains OCD, in other words explain strengths and weaknesses, and do I bring in studies to support? I think I am confusing analysing and evaluating.
Think I may be over thinking!
Sarah
Hi Sarah

Your correct in what you have said about strengths and weaknesses. No you don't need to bring in studies for this TAQ... but TAQ 1b you will.

Hope this helps you.

Give me a shout if you need anything else :thumbup:

Good luck.

Rach182003

Post by Rach182003 »

Thank you Karen, i don't suppose you could clarify something for part b for me? in the brief description of the study offered to support the perspectives explanation of OCD.
Am i writing a brief description say of a what a lab experiment is? or am i writing a brief description of a lab experiment that has been used by a perspective e.g.Hoaken and Schnurr twin study?
Sorry if it sounds like a silly question. I have a habit of over thinking!
Rachel

Karen

Post by Karen »

Rach182003 wrote:Thank you Karen, i don't suppose you could clarify something for part b for me? in the brief description of the study offered to support the perspectives explanation of OCD.
Am i writing a brief description say of a what a lab experiment is? or am i writing a brief description of a lab experiment that has been used by a perspective e.g.Hoaken and Schnurr twin study?
Sorry if it sounds like a silly question. I have a habit of over thinking!
Rachel
Hi Rach

Okay, so in part b... you briefly describe a study that supports that perspective in the one column and then in the other column you evaluate the methods of data that was used in the study that you named in your first column.

Does that make any sense?

Let me know if you need any more assistance :thumbup:

Karen

Return to “Perspectives in Psychology”