TAQ1 part B

SarahHS

TAQ1 part B

Post by SarahHS »

Sorry if this has already been asked on here but I am struggling with part b, description of studies offered to support the perspective’s explanation of obsessive compulsive disorder, and evaluation of methods used for data gathering.
I have used the cognitive perspective and included Rachman mainly for hypervigilance and memory deficit. I do not have detail of how the studies were conducted, therefore am I evaluating the strengths and weakness of say case studies and laboratory experiments, in general, as I am finding difficult to find specifics about the studies?
Many thanks
Sarah

Rebecca Smith

Re: TAQ1 part B

Post by Rebecca Smith »

Hi
What you are doing in considering the strengths and weaknesses of a case study addresses the AC perfectly as the case study is the method of data gathering here. You do have even in the materials some details - she is a woman, the OCD relates to blood - these could be brought into your evaluation.
It is useful when extending your research to use the reference lists at the end of the materials although some of the original studies can be difficult to find in full!
Hope this helps :P

SarahHS

Post by SarahHS »

Thank you, it does. I'm getting there now :thumbup:

Karen

Post by Karen »

Good luck Sarah :thumbup:
Believe you can and you're halfway there :dance:

Received an offer for Forensic Psychology (2017) :D

SEB

Post by SEB »

Hi. I'm struggling to understand TAQ part B as well. In the indicative learning content bit of the TAQs (page 4), there is lots of info about the 4 main perspectives. I'm choosing biological and psychodynamic. When answering 'Brief description of study/ies offered to support the perspective's explanation for OCD', do I use as many studies as possible (including data-gathering) or just one study? Sorry, the clue is most probably in the question and I'm perhaps over-thinking it! I just want to be 100% clear. Thanks!

Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi

Here you need to Identify which studies support the explanations of the OCD and Evaluate methods of data gathering in psychological perspectives.
Have a look at this link ..http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/p ... =23&t=9326 .. see if this helps!

Does this help?

Karen

Rebecca Smith

Post by Rebecca Smith »

Hi Seb
You do sound a little bit confused. You could just do one study or two but a range would be difficult within the word count. Data gathering is not a study in itself but the techniques the psychologist has used in the study to gather data eg lab experiment, case study, observation, questionnaire or interview. You should be looking to evaluate these techniques in the second column
Hope this helps :thumbup:

SEB

Post by SEB »

Thank you! I think I've done enough. :whistle:
Sarah

MDWelch

Post by MDWelch »

Sorry if this was already answered, I might be confusing myself at this point.

Do we have to relate the data gathering methods to the case studies mention or just data gathering methods for the perspective in general.

Thank you.

MDWelch

Post by MDWelch »

Hi

I might be strung out and confusing myself now so sorry if this was explained.

Do we have to cite the data gathering methods of the studies we've mentioned or just the perspective as a whole?

Thanks

Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi

To the studies you've mentioned :)

Return to “Perspectives in Psychology”