Attention and perception research peice, please help!

jamiesmummy19

Attention and perception research peice, please help!

Post by jamiesmummy19 »

Hello

I am on this unit now, and super confused. It doesn't seem to make sense. I need to do 3 tests, which is fine. Then it says on the assessment sheet to compare the results from test 1 and 3, so I thought okay then I am only dealing with 2 sets of data.. but then just under that it says 'remember all participants did all three conditions' :shock: :?

So now I don't know whether when I get to doing the statistics in this peice, whether I am using all 3 sets of data, or just the 2. Obviously if I am using just two then I can use the t test, but if I need to use all three? I don't know. I have emailed my tutor but thought i'd post here to see if anyone can help me first. I don't want to start before having some clarification as the assessment sheet isn't really clear

thanks

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Attention and perception research peice, please help!

Post by Karen Hayday »

For the test you only compare two sets of data not three.

Hope that this helps

Karen
DLC Executive Director

jamiesmummy19

Post by jamiesmummy19 »

Hi Karen

Thank you for confirming, just got confused with having to do three conditions, but only comparing two.

I am finding that my results are completely different to what is expected on the assessment sheet. It states that condition one and two should be similar, and condition three should take considerably longer. However, my results show condition two and three as almost identical, and condition one considerably slower. I just don't know how I am going to explain this in my report since I don't use condition two in finding significance, and my results are different to what was 'expected'

Thanks

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

That is really not a problem and if you do find something different than is expected that is better for your discussion because you have disproved your hypothesis and therefore have much more to talk about in this section. The discussion is probably the most important part of the experiment and if everything goes just perfectly to plan it becomes the most difficult one to write. If it doesn't it gives you lots to say.

With experiments it really does not matter if they work. As if they do not it could mean that the theory is wrong, which again is not a problem, otherwise we would all still be thinking that the world is flat and if we go too far from the land we will fall over the edge :)

So don't worry just write it up with the results you have got.

Karen
DLC Executive Director

Jason O' Mahoney
Head of Social Sciences

Post by Jason O' Mahoney »

Hi,

Karen is right. You do not have prove / disprove anything (just be able to explain what has happened in your research). Remember it the process of writing up a report that is important, not necessarily the data.

jamiesmummy19

Post by jamiesmummy19 »

Hiya,

Thank you both for your responses. While I understand what you are saying, it isn't a particular theory stating that condition two should be similar to condition, its just the assessment sheet that says it. So I don't really want to put that my research disproved what the DLC said because I don't think thats really right :(

The part that I am stuck on is that I do three tests, but I only write about and do my statistical stuff based on two. So do I just completely disregard the second test when it comes to doing my writing? because I just don't know whether it still needs to be mentioned or not. I'm probably not making much sense but it just seems to be a bit of a road block for me, if I was doing two tests, then comparing just them then it would be more straightforward, but the need to do the test on the 3rd condition and not needing to write about it is just confusing me of to why its there in the first place. I feel it probably does serve a purpose but I don't see what it does, and this makes me feel I am missing something. Have requested phone call from tutor but think my emails are going to her junk as shes usually really quick in responding. Will email her again in a few days.

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

I think that the confusion here is in the terminology, when I speak about tests I mean statistical tests, I think you are talking about conditions. You participants have been tested in 3 conditions. i.e completed an experiment 3 times.I do not think that you have completed three statistical tests. What you need to do is to send your data to your tutor so that she can see it and then when she has seen it have a call so that you can discuss your results from a position of knowledge where as what is happening now is we are all in a position of ignorance. If you pass on an e-mail to me to your tutor I will forward it for you as I know that any e-mails from me does not go into a tutors junk.

Karen
Best wishes
DLC Executive Director

jamiesmummy19

Post by jamiesmummy19 »

Hiya Karen

Thanks for your response.

Yeah I know what you mean, I just didn't understand why I needed to do 3 conditions if I was only going to compare the results from 2 conditions. I just don't know how I would refer to condition two in my work since I am not using it for the statistical tests.. does that make sense? I don't make much sense to myself at the moment haha! I think its just a case of saying something along the lines of 'although the data in condition two was not used for statistical tests, the data is very comparable to the results of condition three and this confirms that written words interfere with attention processing' or something like that, and thats the only mention that the data from condition two would get. Sorry, I am probably just making a mountain out of a mole hole here. I shall PM you tomorrow with my email if I haven't heard back from her

Thanks again Karen

Return to “Cognitive psychology”