Are GCSE Equivalences and Key Skills two different things?

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
nohaynada

Are GCSE Equivalences and Key Skills two different things?

Post by nohaynada »

I'm a little confused right now, I don't know if I'm being ignorant or what but I thought I should ask:
I'm starting an Access to Social Science course soon and looking at the course structure; I read:

English Level 2 (Compulsory or GCSE/equivalent) (6 credits)
Maths Level 2 (Compulsory or GCSE/equivalent) (6 credits)

But on another page of the website about GCSE Equivalences:
http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/a ... alence.php
I read:
They are for Access students who wish to enter university using an Access Diploma but are starting without GCSEs in English, Maths or Science, or more than one of these, at Grade C or above.

They are not a compulsory part of the Access Diploma course.

With a link at the bottom to the prices.

Maths GCSE Equivalence (plus 110 additional maximum days of study) = £273.60 (inc. VAT).
English GCSE Equivalence (plus 73 additional maximum days of study) = £182.40 (inc. VAT).

So are they two different things? The access course English & Maths are Level 2 Key Skills? Which is the same as a C Grade? At no extra cost?
:? :think:

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Are GCSE Equivalences and Key Skills two different thing

Post by Karen Hayday »

nohaynada wrote:I'm a little confused right now, I don't know if I'm being ignorant or what but I thought I should ask:
I'm starting an Access to Social Science course soon and looking at the course structure; I read:

English Level 2 (Compulsory or GCSE/equivalent) (6 credits)
Maths Level 2 (Compulsory or GCSE/equivalent) (6 credits)

Level 2 is part of the course which you have to do if you do not have GCSE/equivalence

But on another page of the website about GCSE Equivalences:
http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/a ... alence.php
I read:
They are for Access students who wish to enter university using an Access Diploma but are starting without GCSEs in English, Maths or Science, or more than one of these, at Grade C or above.

They are not a compulsory part of the Access Diploma course.

With a link at the bottom to the prices.

Maths GCSE Equivalence (plus 110 additional maximum days of study) = £273.60 (inc. VAT).
English GCSE Equivalence (plus 73 additional maximum days of study) = £182.40 (inc. VAT).

So are they two different things? The access course English & Maths are Level 2 Key Skills? Which is the same as a C Grade? At no extra cost?
:? :think:
They are two different things, GCSE equivalences are not part of the course but level 2 is. It depends what the university wants. I think you are mixing it all up rather and would suggest that you speak to your tutor about it. or get in touch with student services. Best wishes Karen
DLC Executive Director

ellanac86

Post by ellanac86 »

So does that mean that some universities would accept our key skills instead of a GCSE grade C
Access to Health Professions Diploma
UCAS 2014
twitter @mhnursing2014
Kik mhnursing14 (new)
My "like" page: https://www.facebook.com/mhnursing2014

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

Not that I am aware, as key skills are not GCSE equivalence.
Over the past 20 years there have been a number of qualifications called key skills, core skills, fundamental skills etc etc. These are at different levels Entry 1, 2 level 1, 2 etc. They were not meant to replace GCSE's but were offered along side or sometimes at college for students who had not achieved GCSE's. They were introduced to that the skills base for the British population could be improved, i.e. everyone would leave education having attained something in English and maths. Over a year ago the government looked at all these qualifications and decided that they were not GCSE equivalence.

Universities write on their websites what qualifications they will accept to fulfill their entry requirements and as universities set their own entry requirements they are not all the same for all Universities offering similar courses. When you look on their websites you will find a long list of courses they will accept and some courses they will not.

If on the website under Access to Higher Education it says an Access Diploma plus GCSE at Grade C or above along with an Access course this is what they will accept and nothing else. If it says GCSE equivalence as long as it is part of an Access course then they will accept our GCSE equivalences etc etc.

You must all research into the Entry requirements of the university by looking on their websites, going to open days, ringing and writing to them, you will then know whether you have entry requirements to apply. If you do not have the entry requirements to apply there is no point in applying to that university as they will reject your application. What you need to do is to look around for a university where you do have the entry requirements and apply to them.

For example I want to be a doctor of medicine and the university says that I needs 5 GCSE's including English, Maths and triple science, plus the grade A* A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Physics I have got English, Biology, History, Geography and Art at GCSE and my A levels results have been forecast to be three D's. Therefore I do not have the university entry requirements, no one is going to stop me from applying through UCAS but even if I do, no University is going to offer me a place. This is because even though I may do better then expected in my A levels I have not taken and achieved the basic entry requirements at GCSE.

I hope that this makes the situation clearer

Karen
DLC Executive Director

ellanac86

Post by ellanac86 »

Karen I am really confused as I recieved this email from the london south bank university.

The 60 credit pass must include a minimum 15 credits at Level 2 and 45 credits at Level 3 – 15 Level 3 credits at Distinction and 30 Level 3 credits at Merit. Please ensure the Level 2 credits include literacy and numeracy as GCSE equivalents to English and Maths if you do not hold GCSE minimum C grades in English and Maths.

I also have an NCFE in basic maths at level two.
I really don't know what to do?
UCAS 2014
twitter @mhnursing2014
Kik mhnursing14 (new)

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

I am afraid that the University is asking for GCSE equivalences so if you want to apply to that particular university you will need to take our equivalences as the qualification you already hold is not a GCSE equivalence.

Best wishes

Karen
DLC Executive Director

paula92xo

Post by paula92xo »

ellanac86 wrote:Karen I am really confused as I recieved this email from the london south bank university.

The 60 credit pass must include a minimum 15 credits at Level 2 and 45 credits at Level 3 – 15 Level 3 credits at Distinction and 30 Level 3 credits at Merit. Please ensure the Level 2 credits include literacy and numeracy as GCSE equivalents to English and Maths if you do not hold GCSE minimum C grades in English and Maths.

I also have an NCFE in basic maths at level two.
I really don't know what to do?
I am sorry, this thread is quite old but I came across this - you said you have a NCFE in Basic Math Level 2, I am thinking you did this through OpenStudy college? I e-mailed LSBU about whether they accept this (this was when I wanted to do nursing, but I changed my mind because it is not my choice of pathway any more) and they said YES! They did! BUT, this might of changed - have you e-mailed the Admissions and asked them if they will accept the NCFE qualification?

ellanac86

Post by ellanac86 »

Omg

Thats amazing. I am really glad I am heading upwards now :) smiling right now
UCAS 2014
twitter @mhnursing2014
Kik mhnursing14 (new)

Return to “Study Skills (English and Maths Level 2 and Study Skills level 3)”