Academic Writing Assessment - What should i include?

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Mozz

Academic Writing Assessment - What should i include?

Post by Mozz »

Hi guys,

I'm struggling as to what i should include in my essay about ethics and restraint and need your kind help! :crazy:

Do i need to include a lot of information regarding different ethical theories such as Kant, Utilitarianism and Situational Ethics?

Or... should i focus on whether or not restraint is a good/bad thing?

Many thanks and I hope you are all excited for the Christmas holidays!

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Academic Writing Assessment - What should i include?

Post by Karen Hayday »

The essay is the way that you cover all the assessment criteria, so make sure that you really look at these. It is asking you to say whether it is good or bad but it is also asking to you use the ethics behind whether it is good or bad, so you are supposed to look at the ethical theories to help you make the choice, so you discuss the theories so that you can come down on one side or the other. Make sure however, that you write in the third person. Remember that the title of the unit is academic essay writing and at the end of the day this is what you are showing the marker you can do, write an academic essay.

Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

carrotcruncher

Post by carrotcruncher »

Hi

You may wish to consider

definitions of ethical theories, mental illness and restraint.
how these may be applied in practice

Hope it gives you a bit of an idea where to start at least :)

nicole87

Post by nicole87 »

Hi Mozz,

I would focus on two ethical theories and apply them to a case study of restraint within a mental health setting (I used the case study provided within the reading materials). State the advantages and disadvantages of the ethical theory and then conclude whether or not it is ethical to use restraint based on the theories.

Look at the assessment criteria and make sure you cover this within your work.

If you need any help, please send me a message and I'll be more than willing.

Good luck.

Merry Christmas

Nicole

Sharif

Post by Sharif »

who has finished and passed the academic writing essay ? anyone interested in reading my essay ? I'm about to submit it today as it is due in, I'm really struggling with this assignment and find it really boring and hard.

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Hi Sharif,

Usually you can send a snippet or section of your assignment to your tutor for them to have a look at, comment on, and to see if you're on the right track. This may certainly be difficult when it is the date that your work is due in.

Unfortunately you can't really share your essay with others on the forum here to look at either.

What you can do, is ask certain questions about certain areas, and have advice from tutors and other students alike, to see if you are on the right track. What we can't do is write it or proof read it for you, but we can all help to guide you in the right direction.

Hope today isn't too stressful for you in getting everything finished and handed in. Wishing you all the best :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

Sharif

Post by Sharif »

Hi,

unfortunately, I have already emailed my tutor and he is unable to comment on it and explained that I just should submit it if I think it is right.
what will happen if I fail it ?

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

If there's nothing else that you feel should be included within your assignment, and you have kept it to the standards talked about in the Student Handbook, keeping as close to the assessment criteria as possible (Have you included points in all the parts you're actually getting marked on? Working as closely to the assessment criteria as possible, will always be your friend) - then yes, you should submit your work!

I'm not sure what the current guidelines are written out in the Student Handbook, as I no longer have access - but do have a look in your myDLC resources, and see what it states, for if you do not meet the pass criteria for this work. Hopefully this won't be the case though! :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

carrotcruncher

Post by carrotcruncher »

Hi Sharif

as stated above - look at the assessment criteria and try and satisfy yourself that you met them.

Ultimately this is an ungraded exercise, aimed at getting you into the swing of what is expected for your future work - so if you're up to deadline then you will really have to submit anyway.

You will get feedback from your tutor and may have to resubmit parts of it if they think you fall short.

This feedback is very important and will help you produce a better standard of written work - so don't get too down about it right now.

If you are struggling with any aspect, it's better to ask questions of your tutor / on here / on the FB group sooner rather than later to avoid you getting into the situation you find yourself in now.

We're all friendly and don't bite (much) :thumbup:

nicole87

Post by nicole87 »

Hi Shariff,

How are you? Is there anything that I can help you with or answer any of your questions? I have passed the academic writing assignment and did quite well so if I can give you any pointers then I will. How do you feel as though you haven't met the criteria? If you've answered the criteria you should be fine.

Lots of people on the facebook group and the forum here are willing to help out.

There are numerous feeds on this forum regarding the assignment that should be able to help you. Try this one:
http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/p ... say#p38910

Also, I know you said your tutor said he can't read any more of your assignment but have you had a tutorial with them to discuss what exactly you are struggling with? Sometimes having a physical conversation is better than reading the forums.

Good luck and send me a personal message if you need any more help.

j01fig

Post by j01fig »

Hi all!

I am currently stuck on this module. Only have an introduction and one more paragraph all of which only sums up to 250 words (out of 1350)!
I have read all students' advise on the forum but still not clicking in. :? :crazy:

Jenelle

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

Hi Jenelle,

I think that the best thing that you could do is to ask your tutor for a tutorial to go through what you have written so far and ask for some advice as without you telling us what you are stuck with I am afraid that there is we can do to help

Karen
DLC Executive Director

Return to “Study Skills (English and Maths Level 2 and Study Skills level 3)”