Dive in the Deep End

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Dive in the Deep End

Post by PPoskitt »

Hey all,

Starting this module after looking at the some of the posts in this forum was quite daunting! The word counts are very short and the amount of detail that you can go into is endless. It was really hard to get the balance between the two, and like mentioned in some of the topics below - I've had to just bite the bullet and send the work off! I really hope it's enough. Yeah, it's probably a mistake on my half not getting in contact with my tutor as much as I maybe should have - but really interested to see how I do.

Managed to stay within all of the word count boundaries, a couple of them I chipped into the 10% extra.

Certainly after reading other topics here, at least I'm not alone on this one. It's certainly a shock to the system! I was always good at science in school, particularly biology. I can remember and know a lot of the science, but fitting it into the word counts and correctly academically wording what I knew - felt like the hardest thing!

I hope all of you did well. I'll keep you posted how I do on this assignment - and would be interested to hear some of your stories? Did you all feel that it was a struggle through? Did you feel that modules after this one became easier and your way of writing improved?

One thing I know for sure, the DLC is going to prepare me well for higher education in terms of self-motivation, work ethic, research & writing. I'm already grateful for that and proud of how I've come along already - so early in the course! I just hope what I've done and written for this particular module is sufficient enough to get a good mark :)

Good luck to those starting the module, don't let this post put you off. It was so daunting when I started, but be sure to use the resources available to you (there's actually quite a lot of information in the DLC materials for the module, links to websites for further reading etc.), use your tutor and the forums. Check the previous topics as your question may have already been answered :)

Relief & fingers crossed!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Dive in the Deep End

Post by Karen Hayday »

Good luck Phil.

Karen :thumbup:
DLC Executive Director

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Thanks Karen, always a daunting feeling starting in a new area and doing something I've never done before....fingers crossed!!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

sahara112

Post by sahara112 »

Hi Phil
I found the requirements for the biology modules absolutely ridiculous as I was finding it impossible to go into depth without going over the word allowance. It was a struggle because I kept going through each answer and had decide what to omit and what was worth keeping. However, by the third unit of HBS1 I eventually mastered the art of staying within the word limit whilst delivering a good quality answer. The best advice I can give you is to read through your answer a few times and ensure that it is concise and you have a good understanding of it and also use the correct terminology. Hope that helps.

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Thanks for the advice Sahara, I'll try and put it to good use in my next HBS1 module :) The science I can understand with a bit of work, it is literally putting what I want to say (and hoping I've covered everything I need to for the best marks) into such small word counts! But i'm sure it's only preparing us better for HE :)

Thanks again for the reply!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Over the moon to find out I've got Three Distinctions for my Organisation of the Body Module :)
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

j.preece

Post by j.preece »

Well done for the Distinctions - not an easy task in this first Biology unit. The word counts are very short in some of the tasks and you have to be concise and to the point. You can really only do this if you know and understand the subject matter so a good level of background reading is essential. As someone said to me once 'give me more time and I'll say it in fewer words'. This skill is essential in all professions and a difficult one to master. However, practice makes perfect...

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Thank you and thanks for the reply!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Return to “Organisation of the body”