TAQ 4b

jodipodi83

TAQ 4b

Post by jodipodi83 »

Hi, just want to check that this question is a sort of 'combination' of the previous questions....Im thinking the aim is that I have to say what the organ does, so chemical, physical including what enzymes are produced or secreted here and what the enzymes do.
So eg for Mouth- I would say tongue and teeth grind and soften food, salivary glands secrete liquid saliva which softens the food and contains salivary amylase which begins hydrolysing starches, glycogen and dextrin into glucose, maltose and limit dextrins.
Stomach would be along the lines of churns food, rugae, gastric juice, contains Pepsin, Renin etc which breaks down this into this.....then the same sorts of lay out for intestines, duodenum, jejunum, ileum, ascending colon, appendix, transverse colon etc?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

jodipodi83

Re: TAQ 4b

Post by jodipodi83 »

Anyone??
I have labelled appendix but don't see much relevance to digestion...have I labelled it incorrectly? if not does it actually need to be used in the table or could I leave it out and use my word count for more important organs?
Do I need to do ascending colon/transverse colon etc or just cecum, colon and rectum/anus as I have done when explaining physical digestion...?
I feel like Im repeating myself from stuff in previous questions....is that what everyone else did?

Robin Greenwood

Post by Robin Greenwood »

Hiya

well I'd say the first one for this focuses on physical digestion, which is the physical processes and not the chemical processes, I'd say with this one if you're repeating then you're definitely overlapping too much since the enzymes are part of the chemical rather than the physical processes

then the table looks at chemical digestion by discussing the digestive juices and the enzymes in each juice so the two are actually quite seperate and are best addressed that way

I hope this helps

Robin

jodipodi83

Post by jodipodi83 »

Robin are you talking about the table in question 4b which asks to label the diagram and then do the table on digestive organs and their function? Or are you talking about the two separate questions about Physical and Chemical digestion (Ive already done those).......its 4b Im referring to, that's what I mean when I say I feel like Im repeating chemical and physical in this table about digestive organs.

jodipodi83

Post by jodipodi83 »

Have spoke to my tutor, thanks :)

Robin Greenwood

Oh that's good, it sounds like I got a little confused which one was meant, some would say that confusion is my natural state

hehe

I'm glad your tutor could clarify

Robin

sbroady

Post by sbroady »

I am also baffled by TAQ 4! I have re read the question over and over again and it seems like it is just the same as TAQ 3 but in a different lay out and I will be just going over the same things again.

Can you offer any insight please Robin??

Robin Greenwood

Hiya

the key difference is the physical processes are wanted in TAQ 3, which are the processes which have nothing to do with the chemical processes in digestion and then the next table asks for the chemical processes since these two focus on the criteria

2.2 Describe the physical processes involved in digestion and explain their importance

2.3 Identify the sites of production of digestive juices and enzymes and describe their roles in digestion

so their focus is on the physical and chemical side and the digestive juices involved in the one for 2.3

TAQ 4 is loaded towards the organs rather than the processes, and is aimed for criteria

3.1 Identify the major organs of the digestive tract and their main functions

meaning that the major organs are best discussed and their roles within digestion

I hope this helps

Robin

Return to “Diet and digestion”