Am I missing something? TAQ 1

sharonmw1979

Am I missing something? TAQ 1

Post by sharonmw1979 »

To say I'm a bit frustrated with the meal planner would be the understatement of the year. I know exactly what they need to eat and I know why, I've done loads of research on all three people and have got my justifications ready for part 2 of the question...

I've done 3 tables with breakfast, lunch, tea, day 1, 2, & 3.

I've put all of the breakfasts in for the male athlete for the 3 days... and already hit the 55 word allowance for him.

It's impossible to take any words out with out it not saying what he needs to eat.

It's just a meal planner, why is there a strict word count on it? I understand it for the other questions with narative, but a meal planner? It's not like you can waffle (excuse the pun).

I'm basically going to put an answer in that is wrong, because I dont have a big enough word allowance, and before I get a 'the word counts allow you to get a distinction', that might be true, but the answer is technically wrong - Athletes don't eat 3 meals a day. I'm not over thinking anything this time.

Can someone please tell me the point of the word count in this instance? It makes no sense what so ever. Again, it's a meal planner, the words relate to what they NEED to eat!

E.g. - heres 52 words...

Porridge
Honey
Banana
Half pint semi skimmed milk
Glass Fresh Orange Juice
Wholemeal Toast & Jam
Water 1Ltr

2 Poached Eggs
Lean bacon
2 Wholemeal Toast
Glass fresh pineapple juice
1 Litre Water

4 Weetabix
Half pint semi skimmed milk
Chopped banana
2 Wholemeal Toast
1 glass orange juice
1 Litre water

I actually feel like giving up today.

sharonmw1979

Re: Am I missing something? TAQ 1

Post by sharonmw1979 »

3 meals a day for 3 day, for 3 people... 150 words.

3 x 3 x 3 = 27

150 / 27 = 5.5555555556 words per meal??

Vital info like 'semi skimmed' and 'fresh' and 'lean' has to go. That renders the answer meaningless.

Also, the ammounts of food should be included, like what weight of porridge so that in the next answer I can say why.

So fed up :(

sbroady

Post by sbroady »

I feel your pain! I totally agree and i am currently on the same assignment. I really don't think this is a good one, very misleading and difficult. :(
If you figure it out please let me know! x

sharonmw1979

Post by sharonmw1979 »

I've emailed my tutor, so I'll let you know what he say.

I've not worked out a way of doing it. I've done a 'proper' three day menu per person, completely over the word count.

The 'Eat Well' plate, the one in the DLC course materials (and all over everything NHS related), has five elements. So to eat a balanced diet there needs to be five elements to a meal... in 5.5 words? :o

Really?!

I've noticed another thread on the same question, only a month ago, but the question on the TAQ was different. I'm hoping that they've made a mistake when they re-wrote the question and we're the first to notice it... Maybe? :D

sbroady

Post by sbroady »

Hopefully! I hate diet and digestion....I thought it would be really good but I dont think so now lol. I am now struggling with TAQ 4....Isnt that basically just TAQ 3? xx

sharonmw1979

Post by sharonmw1979 »

Hiya,

I only started Diet and Digestion yesterday, I've just finished the first question (which I'll probably need to re-visit as the first half of the question has about 300 too many words haha) :lol:

I'm just printing off my research and planning my answer for question 2 now. Hopefull I'll finish that question by midday tomorrow and get a start on question 3 before the kids get back... My other half has taken them to his mums in Wales while I have a study weekend!

I'm a bit odd, I've really liked all the HBS modules so far. It's really interesting, my only problem has been the wording of a couple of questions, and the odd dodgy word count!

I've just had a read of question 3&4, they look similar to me too. Is there a difference between 'process' 'function' ? :wink:

I'll cross that one in the early hours of monday no doubt!

Larnsy

Post by Larnsy »

Hiya,

I am wondering how you got on with TAq1??

I am just doing this now and agree it is impossible with the word count. Did you have to cut out all details and serving sizes and explain in the 2nd part?

Thanks!!

Lianna

Robin Greenwood

Post by Robin Greenwood »

Hiya

we're not expecting detail within the first part (the bit that asks for a menu) and kept the word count brief to stop people spending hours on the menu without really tackling the meat of the criteria (which a lot of people were doing previously), more of a dietary overview which is then looked at within the second part of this question where the differences are discussed further

I hope this helps

Robin

c.turnbull

Post by c.turnbull »

Hi Robin

Just wanted to check a couple of things - reading your post above I'm taking it that the menu should be basic and just list the foods which should be eaten over the 3 days with all detail and reasoning to be included in part 2.

Regarding the information source, it does say that you are to use http://www.nutri-facts.com/browse.php to answer the questions - when I open this it links to value penguin site is this right? Really not liking the site but it does have nutritional info listed, are we to use only this source to answer the question and therefore should our menu be purely based on the products listed??

Thanks
Claire

Robin Greenwood

Post by Robin Greenwood »

Hiya

well, it's difficult to find a source which is fairly comprehensive and not politicised, since most websites seem to forget the facts and turn the entire discussion into a lecture on their theories on nutrition, however as long as another source is reliable and not biased you're welcome to use it, though I'd be careful. A lot of these sites really end up pretty much adverts for their product but it's a suggested source, not an obligatory one as long as you're confident in the impartiality and quality of the source

And it's pretty much listing the foods and then later explaining it later, a huge amount of detail is not expected in the menu

I hope this helps

Robin

naomib

Post by naomib »

The problem I am having is I know the types of food I need to include for each person but when I search for them on the nutri-facts site, they are not listed. Under each category I can only see foods beginning with A-C and when I search for individual things such as bread, eggs etc. it doesn't bring anything up, or if it does, it says things like McDonalds scrambled eggs!

I have just found this really useful website which is much easier to use and find the values of food.

http://www.nutritionvalue.org/

I think I am going to use it to gather my information as my tutor has said I can use other sources.

kathdb

Post by kathdb »

Completely agree with word count! Especially with the athlete as they need to be eating a larger quantity! I have written cals, fat, protein and carbs in each thing too but guess i'll cut that out! Just explain in 1b! I was looking forward to this one!! Wanted to try get done in a week, don't think i will :-( x

sbroady

Post by sbroady »

Hi everyone,

I really struggled with this too, but got a D!

For the table, literally write one word answers.

Eg,

Breakfast - Wheatabix, semi-skimmed milk, apple!
Lunch - Wholemeal sanwich, ham, cheese
Dinner - Chicken breast, potatoes, vegatables + fruit salad

Good luck!! :)

wwitherstone

Post by wwitherstone »

Agree with sbroady,

I looked at the suggested source, had a wobbly, did my usual of over thinking it as I do that with every assessment! then just pulled back, ignored the source and thought I could only do this simply with the word count available so I also used one word answers - Dinner- chicken, potatoes, veg. Lunch - Egg salad, Fruit Breakfast - Muesli, Yoghurt. etc just think of the balance of proteins/carbs/fruit/veg/dairy for the day and then explained choices in brief detail for the menu in the 2nd part. For example the teenage athlete would need larger portions due to needing x number of calories.... taking into account what each person's needs were in terms of protein, folic acid, etc and not the exact calories, nutrients of each meal.

Good luck - I too got a D so it's doable! :D

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Thanks for the replies guys, very useful - and congratulations on the D's :-)
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

Return to “Diet and digestion”