Hang in There

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Hang in There

Post by PPoskitt »

Just a message to all who are starting, or are currently on the Pathogens modules of HBS1...

HANG IN THERE! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I particularly found this module a little more difficult to fit the word counts with the correct information (especially the powerpoint/notes TAQ!!!), but with perseverance it is very possible. I don't know why, but the assessment criteria seemed so much more difficult to follow closely than the other modules of the HBS1! But don't be put off now - you've made it this far :) :ugeek:

Just got news of a good Distinction overall for this module - absolutely over the moon :dance:

Thanks to all, and to my tutor, for the guidance and help along the way!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

emilyjane

Re: Hang in There

Post by emilyjane »

Just the kind of encouragement I needed then Phil!

Hope you're getting on well - well done on the Distinction!

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Thank you Emily, much appreciated!

Let me know if you need any guidance or help for any part of this module :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Ashleigh1988

Post by Ashleigh1988 »

hi im just starting my pathagens and disease moduel, im writing litle notes or each section to help me get started.
im not sure about taq 1: part 1 am i discussing the morphology of the viruses ? or is that more for part 2?

also part one: i want to get a distinction grade so im wanting to wright about two complex differences between each organism.

one more thing in part two : the table
it has features of the first column and this has thrown me, i dont know if its how its laid out?
please help.

well done on you distinction btw :)

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Hey Ashleigh,

Thank you for the congratulations :) I'll see what I can do here..

TAQ1: Part 1: Is a general question into what a Pathogen is. Use the Assessment Criteria of 1.1 - but remember the depth of your answer will be in Part 2, in the table. The word count is 300 words (330 max) for this TAQ as a whole, so I made sure not to write too much for part one so I could fill the table for part 2 in more depth. Morphology can come under the 'Features' section of the table for Part 2, where you can show the unique structural qualities of each pathogen.

Again, for you mentioning wanting a Distinction, you are right in thinking it's all about following the 'to stretch and challenge' criteria sheets. You can cover the extra complex differences between each organism in the table of part 2 - remember again that the 300/330 word count for TAQ 1 covers both parts, so have the bulk of your answer within the table.

For the table itself, features can be anything from 'Structure, Morphology', to 'Life Cycle', 'Nutrition', 'Function' (These are examples supplied by the TAQ). These are titles that will be in the feature column, enabling you to discuss the features across the table, comparing and contrasting the supplied types of pathogen.

Hope this helps you out!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Robin Greenwood

Post by Robin Greenwood »

hehe, thanks you beat me to it

Robin

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

No problem... as long as it's right! Just what I followed for when I did this assignment haha :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Ashleigh1988

Post by Ashleigh1988 »

Thank you so much that has helped alot :)
i got 74 words for part 1 of taq 1: does this sound like im on the right track?

A pathagen is anything that causes a disease they include Bacterium which can cause bacterial meningitis or strep throat, Virus which includes Heaptitis A, B, C, flu, chicken pox and polio, then a fungus which can cause athletes foot and mouth disease. And finally protozoa which is a single celled orgainism and if food is contaminated witth them it can cause diarroha. Malaria is a disease caused by protozoa which live in the blood.

Thank you again :)

Robin Greenwood

Hiya

All I can say at this point is that you need to meet criteria 1.1 and for that you'd definitely need further specific detail about each type of pathogen within the table. The statement about pathogens itself is generic, but the table should definitely be specific

I hope this help

Robin

Ashleigh1988

Post by Ashleigh1988 »

hello thank you robin in my table i am talking about the structure, function, life cycle (reproduction) and morphology. hope this will be enough just worry about word count.

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

How did you get on Ashleigh? :)
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

Robin Greenwood

Hiya

as long as you're within 10 percent of the word count you'll be fine and be specific as possible, always when dealing with biology

I hope this helps

Robin

Return to “Pathogens”