It's not going in!!!!!!!!

vicki asquith

It's not going in!!!!!!!!

Post by vicki asquith »

I've been on this module for too long now and I'm not progressing at all.

I've done bits of every TAQ but keep moving onto the next or going back to a previous when I seem it get brain block and its just becoming a vicious circle now :problem:

I can't even work out the criteria I need to fulfil?? I usually make a bullet point list and tick it off as I fulfil it but I can't even manage to workout what each TAQ is needing?

if anyone can give me an idea in bullet point form that would be great as I'm almost at giving up point

TIA xx

Pam Leach

Re: It's not going in!!!!!!!!

Post by Pam Leach »

Hi Vicki,

It is a unit that does involve a fair bit of research. TAQ 1, a general Biology A level textbook to compare the 4 types of pathogens would be handy. TAQ 2, NHS choices website is a valuable source of information on various diseases. Don't forget to include the life cycle of the pathogen.

TAQ 3 There are two parts to this presentation: How do hospitals prevent cross contamination, and what do they do to prevent the spread of hospital acquired infections? Research antibiotic resistant infections and what policies hospitals have on controlling these troublesone infections.

TAQ 4, An essay of two halves, non specific defences including both physical, chemical and cellular, and then specific (T and B cells, antibodies etc).

TAQ 5 These are two separate ways at looking at immunity.

Hope that gives you some guidance without giving the answers away!
Curriculum leader of Science and Biology tutor

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

How are you getting on?
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

vicki asquith

Post by vicki asquith »

Hi,
thank you for the above advice

I've managed to get TAQ 1,2 & 3 done.

In TAQ 3 are the words within the power point slides counted as part of word count?

also.....

Can someone please give me an example of what should be in the table in TAQ 5?

e.g what would go under natural similarities?

TIA
Vicki

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Hi Vicki,

The words in the power point count towards your total word count for TAQ 3. I used roughly half the word count for my powerpoint slide notes, and half the word count for presenting a quick, factual, direct power point - sticking as closely to the assessment criteria as possible.

For TAQ 5, with the Immunity Comparisons - this one can be a little tricky with word counts.

I found that using less of the word count was easier for the similarities between Natural & Acquired, and Active & Passive. For example, one similarity between Natural & Acquired was on the lines of the method behind Phagocytosis (Was it non-specific macrophage or antigen-antibody complex). This is all I put into the similarities, and then concentrated my marks for the differences, where I used more of the word count to explain my answers (e.g the defence mechanisms are different, and in what way? Are there previously sensitised T-Lymphocytes? Which process uses Natural Killer cells? Is one method a specific defence that develops throughout a lifetime?)

Hope this information helps to send you in the right direction. Get all the points you wish to put across in bullet points, take out the most specific facts and form a detailed/precise table with the word count you're provided with.

All the best :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

Return to “Pathogens”