Ethics essay

cadkins

Ethics essay

Post by cadkins »

I may appear really thick here or i generally still have baby brain can anyone help me :oops:

I am just starting the Ethics essay, i have decided to look into Human Rights and mental health, am i supposed to be writing an essay on this topic as a whole? or picking a topic within the ethics of a particular human right/mental health? :doh:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :?

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: Ethics essay

Post by Rhia Hayday »

Hi - I'm a bit confused by your message, so bear with me. Have you read the packs on ethics and mental health? And have you read the assessment all the way through? There's a 'plan' and there are what you need to meet on each criteria too. These should answer your questions, but if they don't, you need to let me or your tutor know and then we can help.
Curriculum Manager

cadkins

Post by cadkins »

I wasnt sure on the subject, i was going to base it on Euthanasia however my tutor has advised thats not suitable and to pick something like depression, ive got all my plans done eg spider diagrams on depression, ethics and human rights but i can't seem to make an essay out of it, im struggling to relate it all to depression. Does that make sence? i don't know if im looking to far into it but i feel like ive hit a wall :(

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

The focus needs to be on controversial treatments - neither euthanasia or depression are treatments for mental health issues. You'd be looking at ECT, forced medication, restraint, informed consent etc - all of these are treatments to some extent for depression, so perhaps that is what they meant? Have you read all of the information now? You haven't just gone straight onto the assessment question blind have you? There are packs on the assessment page that give you all the info you need to start to formulate your essay.
Curriculum Manager

cadkins

Post by cadkins »

Yes ive read the information and planned all my essay and written half of it relating to depression as my tutor advised!

I read the information with an understanding that you had to pick a topic and apply everything to it such as restraint etc.

Now im even more confused and stressed, thank you for pointing me in the right direction though.

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

Hello - sorry for causing panic! You can talk about depression in terms of mental health, and the treatments that somebody would/ could experience if they are depressed, but really what you have to focus on is:

* what the rights are of somebody with mental health issues (Mental Health Act; Human Rights Act etc) (this is criteria 3.1)
* how they can be infringed (here you talk about the issues, such as restraint) (this is criteria 2.1)
* why it's important to look at these issues critically and assess their ethical standpoint/ limitations etc. What ethical theories say, and their own merits and issues (this is criteria 1.1)
* if the ethics can actually be applied - this is where a case study is really useful, because it gives you a real life example of criteria 2.2, and 3.1, and allows you to apply the ethics to a situation (this is criteria 2.2)

Does this help? It be helpful if you PM'd be who your tutor is so we can make sure that this is cleared up.
Curriculum Manager

TALENT

Post by TALENT »

hi i am doing the same, but i feeling so stuck and a bit confused on this one ( Human Infringed) in Utilitarianism and Kantian Ethics . Please can you help i am extremely stressed out

Return to “Communications level 3”