Struggling help please!!

connorjones2104

Struggling help please!!

Post by connorjones2104 »

Hello All,

Im on my communications module at the minute and I think I understand it all its just following the criteria sheet.
Im doing the personal writing and im finding it hard to determine what I need to do for distinction or merit as that is the entry requirements for my Uni of choice.
Am I sounding a bit thick? Is anyone else finding it difficult on knowing what to do for the D or M.

HELP!!!! :o

Thanks!!!

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: Struggling help please!!

Post by Rhia Hayday »

Hello - if you do everything that it says on the criteria sheet (for a pass, merit and distinction), and write well (eg full sentences, paragraphs, punctuation, grammar etc), then you will get a Distinction. You really need to put time and effort into the write up of your research, as this is where you are able to evaluate, which is what we look for in Distinction work.

As a general guide - if you describe with a bit of explaining, that's a Pass. If you explain using sources to back this up, and start to explore the pros and cons in light of your research, that's a Merit. If you explain, develop your argument using sources, compare, contrast, debate, critique, evaluate etc, then that's a Distinction.

Hope this helps.
Curriculum Manager

clearnshaw1

Post by clearnshaw1 »

How do you do this when writing about a career choice I understand there is pros and cons but i cant quite get what your looking for sorry if i sound stupid

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

When looking at career choices it is all about the pros and cons for you yes and then also explaining how you have come to the choice you have, so for example the reputation of the university, where the placements are, if you need to do one. What the results are like and how many get jobs. All these are useful if you are evaluating a course.

Just like when you joined DLC, you will have researched your options and perhaps found out that we are the only distance learning course with a track record of helping people get places at university. So, decided to take the plunge, rather than going to another company which has no track record. You could prove this because of all the students who are on our website, which showed both their names and their pictures..... more likely to be true than a testimonial which just says something like: My personal tutor was very supportive from the outset; she explained things etc etc with no name attached and no picture, obviously testimonials such as these could just be made up So, you did your research, you found out the pros and cons and evaluated them to came to an informed decision, this all fits in with the grading criterion.

Hope that this helps

Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

clearnshaw1

Post by clearnshaw1 »

thank you I'll have another read through and see what I can add

Return to “Communications level 3”