TAQ1: 1a & 1b

melinda

TAQ1: 1a & 1b

Post by melinda »

Hi
I would ask my tutor but it is rear I have a whole weekend free but stumped!!! any advice appreciated.

I have read over the Aims/Main Objectives above 1a which say you have to carry out research which will be on midwifery, but it says you will need to find out info on current issues, effecting the profession and the outcomes in depth? (so maybe lack of midwifes and outcome of this?) BUT this has confused me when reading 1a and 1b and cant understand how it relates to them.
AS 1a) = conduct research into the profession you wish to entre...so will be notes refs, drafts, info collected, IE the in depth info to be use in 1b). HOWEVER when reading the info in 1b) they then ask for you to write up research more on how and what is require to become a midwife? and pro and cons and then a more personnel point of view skills/experience...? so am I meant to be finding out research on that area? that's where I'm struggling to see the correlation. Maybe I have read it wrong, I'm I going down the right route or have I missed the point? (and also seems to be more in the first person) NOT third.

Cheers :doh:

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Re: TAQ1: 1a & 1b

Post by PPoskitt »

Hey Melinda,

Definitely have a chat to your tutor on monday with this, but this is what I found from Personal Writing...

Task 1a) is asking you to conduct some research. It basically wants to see a general understanding through note taking, mind maps, highlighting information, looking through websites, bringing information together. You could print information off the internet, highlight important sections and make notes, look into any relevant books and extract information etc. It would be important to look into the role of a midwife, how to become one, entry requirements, current relevant affairs, any room for progression once qualified etc etc. This is a very generalised task, no word count, and your tutor needs to see evidence of understanding through a range of research.

Task 1b) is an essay style write up. Because it is a Personal Writing task (even though the materials on the DLC with regard to Essay Writing skills state that essays must be written in the third person) you are allowed to write in the first person ''To become a Midwife I must......'' (This is what I have found out through looking through the forums). Keep track of your word count (it doesn't include your references/bibliography) and I think you'll find it easier to lay out if you construct an essay plan first. Decide what you want to talk about in each section and take it from there.

If you're finding these tasks a challenge and don't know where to start - I'd suggest looking at the other TAQs for the module for the rest of the weekend, as they too can be quite time consuming - then on Monday, you could contact your tutor and hopefully move forward with TAQ1a & b. I found it easier to almost work backwards for this module; constructing my answers to interview questions, creating a CV and the personal statement TAQs first, then writing up my research as a final task.

Just remember what I've said here, isn't set in stone as the way to tackle these TAQs. This is my own personal thought on how to complete them - and you should always consult your tutor first....but hopefully it helps you out a little!

Let me know how you get on!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

melinda

Post by melinda »

Great thanks yep ive done all that for TAQ1 but thought I was going down the wrong path. I understand TAQ 2 but have left this to last as like you found it easier to do the other tasks first. So then can adjust essay accordingly.Think its a case of information over load..as I have folders for universities..midwifery....couse work... thanks for the clarity that is what I needed as I got bog down.

Cheers
Melinda

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

No worries, glad I could help :) All the best!
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

Return to “Communications level 3”