FRACTIONS!!!

fliss1988

FRACTIONS!!!

Post by fliss1988 »

Anybody good at fractions?

MATHS has never been a good subject for me - I'm completely rubbish!! LOL

Anyway - I can work out what the multiplying fractions are but that's it.

I can't seem to work out say for example - 4/5 + 1/3 times 3/5

And I don't understand ones with brackets either?

Nor the subtraction ones..

Can someone please help me by giving an example of each and explaining step by step?

I'd appreciate the help, I've been stuck on this for 3 DAYS!!!

Elle :)

Yvonne Otter
Head of level 2 and GCSE equivalences

Re: FRACTIONS!!!

Post by Yvonne Otter »

Hi Elle,

Hopefully I can help you. Firstly don't panic when there is more than one operator in the sum eg. 1/3 + 3/4 x 2/5 or when your sum contains brackets

To solve these successfully you need to remember your 'order of calculations' or BIDMAS. In the sum above you would do 3/4 x 2/5 first and then you would add 1/3 to your answer.

Multiplying fractions is easy. You multiply the two numerators (top numbers) together to give you a new numerator and you multiply the two denominators together (bottom numbers) to give a new denominator. So for this one

3/4 x 2/5 would be 6/20

Now we need to do 1/3 + 6/20 and this is a little more tricky. Remember that we can only add and subtract fractions if the denominators are the same so we need to look for a number which has 3 and 20 as factors. This would be 60

Now 1/3 is the same as 20/60 (Revise equivalent fractions if you are not sure why)

and 6/20 is the same as 18/60

20/60 + 18/60 = 38/60 which cancels to 19/30

So hopefully you see that you still only do one thing at a time with the fractions questions although there are lots of bits to remember.

Please do ask your tutor if you are stuck, they'll be happy to help

Yvonne

Return to “assessments”