Panicking!!!

If you are studying English GCSE Equivalence then this forum is for you to use for help and support
Doddy1974

Panicking!!!

Post by Doddy1974 »

I have sent off the first part of the Of Mice and Men work...chapters 1-6. I don't think I put a reference sheet at the end....does there need to be one considering the questions themselves ask you to reference, and you are always quoting from the books anyway...im worried now!!!

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: Panicking!!!

Post by Rhia Hayday »

It's completely self contained. So where you have to reference in each chapter, that is your reference list. Don't worry - as long as you've answered the questions and filled out the criteria sheet, you haven't done anything wrong!
Curriculum Manager

Doddy1974

Post by Doddy1974 »

There was no criteria sheet, not for the first part anyway. I see there is one for the Speaking and Listening Assessment, but not for the Chapter Review assessment part.

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

There is a criteria sheet. You need to do the work in this order:

* unit 4 (TAQ on poetry)
* unit 5 (TAQs throughout the novella)
* tell your tutor you have completed them, and they will give you the assessment code. This is the criteria sheet with guidance on how to complete it (eg what criteria you've hit and where)
Curriculum Manager

Doddy1974

Post by Doddy1974 »

I have sent off Unit 4 and 5 to be marked before I do the Speaking and Listening, there was no criteria sheet to print off with unit 4 & 5.

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

That's because you have not asked for the assessment code - this is the criteria sheet. Just ask your tutor for the code, and then you will have the criteria sheet that you were meant to send with your assessment. At the end of the chapter 6 questions, there is this:

This completes your assessment for Developing Read Skills. Use the Developing Reading Skills assessment to complete your criteria sheet for this submission.

The work that you have done for this assessment will also help you to prepare for your Speaking and Listening assessment, so make sure you keep copies of this work.

Please read the information given in future.
Curriculum Manager

Doddy1974

Post by Doddy1974 »

Rhia Hayday wrote:That's because you have not asked for the assessment code - this is the criteria sheet. Just ask your tutor for the code, and then you will have the criteria sheet that you were meant to send with your assessment. At the end of the chapter 6 questions, there is this:

This completes your assessment for Developing Read Skills. Use the Developing Reading Skills assessment to complete your criteria sheet for this submission.

The work that you have done for this assessment will also help you to prepare for your Speaking and Listening assessment, so make sure you keep copies of this work.

Please read the information given in future.
That's a bit harsh...all I can do is ask for passwords! if I am not given the correct password how am I meant to know where things are! I cannot see into an assessment without the password, so don't know what's in it!!

You have really upset me with your comment. Unit 5 contains work that is actually part of the assessment, wouldn't it make more sense to put it in under the assessment rather than with the units of materials, then people might know where they are.

mariakirk

Post by mariakirk »

I haven't done this yet so it's good to know that part of the assessment is within the materials. I have done part of level 2 english and maths and i am now doing some level 3 work and will do the rest of the level 2 GCSEE's at the end of the course... Is that the way it usually happens?

I don't think Rhia was trying to be harsh but I can see the way that it came accross... for people like me though (who hasn't started this yet) it is helpful to know that the criteria sheet is seperate!
Access to Midwifery Student!

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

It might have come across as 'harsh', but I had repeated the same thing a number of times, and furthermore, all I said was that you should read the instructions that is given to you. I designed the English so that you could complete the assessment criteria whilst you were working through the materials. This was to save you time and energy. I do apologise if this has not worked well for you as a learner.
Curriculum Manager

Doddy1974

Post by Doddy1974 »

Obviously no point in arguing this one out...I was looking and looking for what you were telling me. There are certain things that have not been made clear, and i am not alone in feeling this way. LIke I said before, I can only see what I am given passwords for...if I am not given (even after asking) the passwords, there is little I can do.

I do thankyou for taking the time to respond to me.

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

The pattern is (and this is the same throughout the course), get the materials password, work your way through the materials, when you're happy with the content let your tutor know and they will give you the code for the assessments. Do the assessments and send to your tutor. There should always be a criteria sheet submitted with an assessment, but if there's not it's not the end of the world. Post one separately or email a scanned copy to your tutor.

Then ask for the next materials code. There are some modules where you have TAQs in the units (these are tutor assessed questions). Do these as you go through the materials, and then when you get to the assessment your TAQs will form part of this. Obviously at any point (whether you're on materials or assessments) you can ask questions/ request a call to have a chat over things etc.

With English GCSEE the pattern is a little different because of the number of assessments you do:

* units 1-3
* improving grammar and punctuation assessment
* units 4-5 - this is developing reading skills assessment
* speaking and listening assessment
* using writing for meaning assessment

If you are doing the Maths GCSEE, that too is in sections. So you do a couple of units and do an assessment etc. Biology 1 is like that as well because it's 15 credits and it would be silly to do 15 credits worth of assessments after the materials.

If in doubt, do get in touch with your tutor.
Curriculum Manager

Doddy1974

Post by Doddy1974 »

Thankyou for taking time to explain it all to me.

I didn't do the English in that order...I did the Global Warming Essay before Of Mice and Men. There was also a confusion as my tutor had given me a password which wasn't opening what I had asked for.
Hopefully, I won't come across any further problems...it's like all things new, sometimes it takes time work out how things work.

Thankyou

Return to “English”