Wilfred Owen Poem

If you are studying English GCSE Equivalence then this forum is for you to use for help and support
laurchee78

Wilfred Owen Poem

Post by laurchee78 »

Hi all,

I have just started this unit, and I just haven't got a clue what I am supposed to do, or what to write. :eh: :crazy:
I have read the poem over and over, and kind of understand what it is about. With me, it is just putting it into words, and how to start (so to speak)
I haven't written essays for years and even when I did at school, I don't think I was that good.

What does it mean when it says 'Why is imagery so important in Wilfred Owen's poem Dulce et Decorum Est'

(never thought I'd say this, but I think I preferred the Maths Units I did)

Any tips/help/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanking you in advance
Laura

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: Wilfred Owen Poem

Post by Rhia Hayday »

Hi Laura
Imagery is language that elicits an emotional response. So the question is asking 'why is it so important in the poem that the language makes the reader feel something?' You'll be able to answer this fully if you follow the bullet points on the guidance (where it starts 'explain what happens in 'Dulce et Decorum Est' and what the poem is about').
You're not really being assessed on your essay writing skills (and you will learn how to do these properly in your Using Writing for Meaning assessment, which is the last assessment in the English). What you're being assessed on here is your ability to:

1.1 Explain how language is used to achieve a specific purpose.
so in order to meet this criteria, you will explain how Owen uses language to make the reader feel something (happy, sad, angry, disillusioned, pro-war... whatever you feel his purpose is)

1.2 Evaluate the effectiveness of a text by identifying the techniques used by the author to achieve a purpose. For example, characterisation, making an argument, style or use of language.
here you will be critiquing how well Owen has used language to achieve his desired effect. Eg does it make you feel something? Would it make his peers feel something?

1.3 Trace and understand the main events of continuous descriptive, explanatory and persuasive texts.
this is explaining what the poem is about

3.2 Identify main points and specific details.
as above, and picking out specific things to back up your answer

4.1 Use a range of reference materials to find information.
4.2 Select relevant information from at least three different types of sources.
4.3 Use an index system to locate materials by author and topic.
these are all met by using different sources to back up/support/develop your answer

So whether or not you write a perfect essay isn't what will dictate whether you pass or not. The best answers to this assessment question come from students who have got something out of the poem, not necessarily students who know how to write perfect essays.

Hope this helps - follow the bullet points, look particularly on how the language elicits an emotional response, and don't worry too much about essay writing, but make sure that your writing makes sense and is easy to understand, and you'll be away. Reactions to poetry should be emotive and personal, so think about how this poem affects YOU, and how it would affect people who read it 100 years ago during WWI.

Good luck - let me know if you need any more help/ have a chat about this with your tutor - they will be able to guide you too.
Curriculum Manager

laurchee78

Post by laurchee78 »

Hi Rhia,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. It is very much appreciated.

I have started to follow the bullet points set out in TAQ1, which is kind of helping.

The question I do have is, who is the intended audience of the essay for? Is it based on my opinion?

Thank you

Laura

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

the poem is dedicated to Jessie Pope - a very pro-war civilian propagandist who he ironically refers to. But it's also written to all the people back home. The people who believe Pope (and other's) claims that it's 'sweet and right to die for your country'. It is showing them what war was like for all the men who were at the Somme. Remember that they didn't have any of the news, journalism, photographs, political analysis etc, that we do now. Any letters that the soldiers sent back home were censored if they said anything negative... the propaganda was that the war was successful, and that it was every man's duty and honour to go to war, and to potentially die. Owen tells them what it's really like, and this obviously, would have been a massive shock. There's loads of information about this online and in books. Wilfredowen.org.uk would be a good place to start...
Curriculum Manager

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

But also, we are the audience (and any subsequent reader) - the war might have changed, but the message of the poem hasn't...
Curriculum Manager

laurchee78

Post by laurchee78 »

Hi Rhia,

Thank you for your help :thumbup: :-)

Laura

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

no worries - hope it's helped!
Curriculum Manager

laurchee78

Post by laurchee78 »

I am still not sure with this essay. I am finding it really hard to do.
It is stressing me out and knowing I only have 10 weeks to get all the English done isn't helping either :-(

I am writing things, not sure even if it is correct what I am doing and then, I am struggling with where I have got the evidence from.

I have tried following the bullet points.....

I am having a nightmare with it

:-( :-(

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

Ok, firstly there's no good that can come from letting it get on top of you. Have you done the work on Of Mice and Men? If not, leave the poem and go onto that instead. At least then you'll have done the majority of the assessment and will be nearly finished.
If/when you've done the rest of the assessment, you can either 1) finish the Wilfred Owen essay off as well as you can, submit the assessment, and if you've passed - great. If not, your tutor will give you feedback and help so that you will meet all of the criteria. Or 2) get your tutor to help now. Ask if you can email them a section of your essay (this is absolutely fine to do) to see if you're on the right line with it. Arrange a call, talk it through, explain where you're stuck and they will be able to guide you.
10 weeks to complete the rest of the English is TOTALLY doable. I wouldn't lie to you about that. Once this assessment is out of the way, you should aim to have Speaking and Listening done in a week, and Using Writing for Meaning done in 2. Honestly, you'll be able to focus on the Diploma well before the deadline for the English GCSEE comes around.
Curriculum Manager

laurchee78

Post by laurchee78 »

Hi Rhia,

Thanks once again for your response :-)

I think I did let the fact that it's only 10 weeks get to me yesterday.

I have emailed my tutor what I have done with the poem.

I am now starting on Child Poverty.....I will see how I get on with that.

Many Thanks
Laura

Rhia Hayday

Post by Rhia Hayday »

Good to hear that you've sent it off to your tutor, and glad I've been a help of sorts. Let me know how you get on
Curriculum Manager

Return to “English”