GCSEE Writing for Meaning TAQ3

If you are studying English GCSE Equivalence then this forum is for you to use for help and support
laurchee78

GCSEE Writing for Meaning TAQ3

Post by laurchee78 »

Hi all,

Has anyone done anything on the Writing for Meaning skills TAQ3?

It is where in Question 1: you have to give three examples of imagery (150 words). In Question 2, you have to describe two examples of irony and juxtapositon (I don't even know what juxtaposition is or means) (200 words). Question 3, describe how the author uses anecdote (100 words)

I don't even know where to begin or what to write for any of these three questions.

Many Thanks for your help in advance
Laura

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Re: GCSEE Writing for Meaning TAQ3

Post by Rhia Hayday »

Hi Laura
Do you understand what these literary devices mean?
Your first job is to go and learn what they mean, and then you can try and find examples in the pieces.
So firstly, what is imagery? In your work on Dulce et Decorum Est you wrote an essay on imagery. Go back and look at the definition and guidance for this essay, as this will help you here. If it doesn't, look up what imagery is, with examples.
Irony is a language device where the real intent is concealed or contradicted by the literal meaning of words or a situation, or an outcome that is contrary to what is expected. For example, the Alanis Morissette song 'Isn't it Ironic?' actually has no examples of irony in it. This is ironic.
Juxtaposition is where 2 opposing things are together to show their differences, or to compare and contrast. For example, young and old, rich and poor, royal and plebs.
Once you understand what these 2 words are, then you need to scan through the piece to find examples of where the author uses them. Whether or not the piece is written from the author's perspective, or your perspective is irrelevant.
And finally anecdote - this is a short, often amusing, little story or tale about somebody.

Once you understand what these literary devises are, then you need to scan through the piece to find examples of where the author uses them.
Curriculum Manager

laurchee78

Post by laurchee78 »

It doesn't and isn't making any sense. I have never done anything like this when I was at school, or if I did I don't remember. I'm finding this rather frustrating because I can't do it

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Post by Rhia Hayday »

You really need to arrange a tutorial with your tutor before the Easter break to discuss this if you're having so many issues with it. It's clear that you really need a tutorial to go over it.
Curriculum Manager

Return to “English”