Social work students come join me......

Stuck with a topic? Looking for useful ideas? Help & discussion on course content, materials & assessments.
Emma Finnie

Social work students come join me......

Post by Emma Finnie »

Seeing as the social work section is completely empty I thought I'd add to it and see if there are any other access to social work students out there??

If so how far are you through your course? how are you finding it? and which universities are you applying to?

Its taken me a while but I have almost completed 42 credits so only 18 to go! Have an interview next weds at Chester Uni :dance: :dance: :dance: . Its the only course I've applied to though so a little nervous to say the least!

Be nice to hear from other social worker wannabes :wave:

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Social work students come join me......

Post by Karen Hayday »

I really do not know what is is with social work students but they do seem determined not to speak to each other!!

Answers on a post card please

Karen :?:
DLC Executive Director

sryan

Post by sryan »

Hi Emma,

A wannabe Social Worker here!

Well done for getting the majority of the way through the course and good luck with your interview (if you have had it already, I hope it went well for you!).

I'm only on my third level 3 module so far, but I'm not really enjoying the course. I'm finding it difficult to stay motivated as I work full time currently and I've found some issues with the course materials, but I'm sure I'll get there in the end! :) It'll be worth it.

I'm applying to go to Swansea University and Cardiff Met as a back up! Really excited about it, so that's what keeps me going! :D

TALENT

Post by TALENT »

Hi All

I have just started the Social Interaction Module (NON- VERBAL COMMUNICATION).
Can i have advice for direction . Is the 1st question an essay Introductions says a theory behind my explanation

Anyone to help. Sorry if i sound a bit daft but i need help

TALENT

Post by TALENT »

Emma Finnie wrote:Seeing as the social work section is completely empty I thought I'd add to it and see if there are any other access to social work students out there??

If so how far are you through your course? how are you finding it? and which universities are you applying to?

Its taken me a while but I have almost completed 42 credits so only 18 to go! Have an interview next weds at Chester Uni :dance: :dance: :dance: . Its the only course I've applied to though so a little nervous to say the least!

Be nice to hear from other social worker wannabes :wave:

I have just started the Social Work course me too surprised not much on the forum. This is my 1st assignment of Social Interaction Non-Verbal Communication A little bit unclear how to start this assignment ????? Can
What about yourself :thumbup:

amylou87

Post by amylou87 »

Hi Everyone,

I am also doing access to social work. I'm currently about halfway through the reading for research methods and statistics. I've been enjoying the course but I'm finding the reading for this module is quite daunting. But I'm getting there! My first choice for university will be York but I'm not applying until the end of 2014.

How did your interview go Emma?

Glad someone posted on here. I'm glad to know there are other social worker wannabes!! :dance:

Amy

TALENT

Post by TALENT »

I am also Doing Access and i have completed my Research Methods it was so tough. Its a shame not many Social Work students on the forum as to help each other. I got Merritt , i think few tips may help
* Advantages and Disadvantages of Interviews
* Advantages and Disadvantages of Questionnaires
I found them better to evaluate in the end

Then Evaluate e.g Questionnaires are cost effective/ gives more choices

Talk about Observational study and Experimental study, or Repeated measure design
*Evaluate the better way to conduct a research
However the Hypothesis is important to look , thats were i failed a bit , if i got that right i'm sure a Distinction was on my way

GOOD LUCK :oops: :thumbup: !! :thumbup:

kooallforM

Post by kooallforM »

Hi everyone. I have recently started the course so am still on the Comms modules - done personal writing and now doing ethics.

Its a lot harder to find the time with work and kids (and 2 horses!!) than I thought it would be but so far enjoying it.

Not sure where I am going to apply to yet but planning a few visits to open days in the coming months to Cardiff Met, UWE (Bristol), Birmingham and Cheltenham and then applying the end of this year.

Good luck everyone !!!!!!

:thumbup: :wave: :wave: :wave: :thumbup:

Emma Finnie

Post by Emma Finnie »

Hey all I hadn't actually expected anyone to reply so sorry Im only just replying myself ha ha!

Ive done another 3 credits (Reseacrh Methods) and now only 12 to go thank god.

Im on the practical for the second part of research methods (social conflict)

Im only just looking over it but it looks grim, Talent, Amylou have you guys done this part yet?

I didn't get a place at Chester :thumbdown: despite the interview going pretty well, it was just too competative and too many way more experienced people than me at the interview. They were very complimentary though and encouraged me to reapply. I filled in some more choices on the UCAS site in the end but tbh I may just wait another year work in scoial care to earn to pennies and more experience and reapply.

Hows everyone elses applications going?

x

kooallforM

Post by kooallforM »

Hey, hope everyone's doing well and got 2014 off to a good start

Quick question for you guys - I have only recently started the course and have just completed research methods and stats (just the first assessment not to the practical report) - it was boring as expected and not enjoyable at all!! :crazy: :crazy: Anyway there was some recommended text books in the course material and just wondering if I should buy one of these for use in future social work modules or whether I will only use research methods and stats again when doing the research report?
Anyone who is further through the course if you could let me know what you think would be great!

:D :D :D

heywoodlad89

Post by heywoodlad89 »

Hi there guys and girls,

I've just started the Social Work course, would be great to meet some study buddies to help each other out :thumbup:

Hope everyone is doing well and not to stressed by the course :crazy:

Kal Menon

Post by Kal Menon »

Hi All & Welcome to DLC :wave: (better late than never for some of the older posts I guess :oops: )

Social Work forums are a little quieter than others true, but don't let this deter you from posting new threads to help get this part of the forum off the ground and attract more attention (and help) from others :wink:

I hope your all doing well in your studies :D and to those newly joined, best of luck :thumbup:

Thomcat

Post by Thomcat »

Hi Everyone,

I've only just started the induction and finished my essay yesterday just waiting to speak to my tutor. I'm very nervous/excited about it all. I'd love to hear how everyone is getting on? there doesn't seem to be hardly any social work wannabes on here. I'm a little bit overwhelmed by all the info at the moment so it would be great to speak to someone who's a little further. Speak soon x

cfairman

Post by cfairman »

Hello my name is Cordillia and i am new to the course just starting this week. How are Social work students finding the course so far? :thumbup:

JanineWightman

Post by JanineWightman »

Hello Emma,

I am just starting the Social work Access course. I am very nervous but so excited to finally be following my dream. I went to an open day yesterday at Anglian Ruskin in Chelmsford. Not only did it excite me and inspire me, it worried me with figures of applicants and the university wanting experience.
So this morning I was up early contacting independent Social workers and children's centres asking for information on getting volunteer work.
Have you done any volunteer work? Also could you give me some ideas of books to read or buy please?

Thank you.
Janine :thumbup:

Return to “Social Issues in Health Care”