University conditional offers and grades..

What is it like? How do you do it? What about interviews? What are different Universities and Colleges like?
Chloevee

University conditional offers and grades..

Post by Chloevee »

Hi all,

I was just wondering how Universities give out conditional offers, as I've heard people say that they give out conditional offers and on results day if you haven't met these conditions the uni can withdraw the offer if they want to.

However, when a tutor does the UCAS reference, they list what units you have completed and the grades you have achieved. So if at that stage I haven't met the conditions, the university can see it on the reference and automatically choose not to offer me a place? I'm waiting on one more important offer, the admissions officer has been in touch but I have no idea what to expect!

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: University conditional offers and grades..

Post by Karen Hayday »

Chloevee wrote:Hi all,

Hi Chloe,

I was just wondering how Universities give out conditional offers, as I've heard people say that they give out conditional offers and on results day if you haven't met these conditions the uni can withdraw the offer if they want to.

Yes, they do give out conditional offers and conditional means that you have to have the grades and the qualifications they have asked for you to take up a place at University. All universities make more offers than they have places as some people do not take up the offer and some do not get the grades that they need to take up the place. So, the offer is upon the condition that you meet it and if you don't then that will give that place to someone who has met the conditions. When you have completed the course and the awarding body has agreed all your grades, your grades are fixed and the university will change the offer from conditional to unconditional which means that your place is secure.

However, when a tutor does the UCAS reference, they list what units you have completed and the grades you have achieved. So if at that stage I haven't met the conditions, the university can see it on the reference and automatically choose not to offer me a place? I'm waiting on one more important offer, the admissions officer has been in touch but I have no idea what to expect!
Yes that is right your tutor does put down all the grades you have achieved so far and also gives a prediction on how you will do in the future, the universities use this to see if it is likely that you will meet the conditions they are offering. They also look very carefully at your personal statement to decide if from that they think that you are the right person to offer a place to on a particular course. If you are applying for a health related course they will also offer you an interview where you would probably take a maths and/or English test to make sure that you are able to communicate well with patients and other members of the team and that your numeracy skills are such that you will be able to give the correct drugs etc.

Hope that this is helpful

Karen
DLC Executive Director

Return to “Applying to Universities and HEIs”