Uni's

What is it like? How do you do it? What about interviews? What are different Universities and Colleges like?
stephenmartinweekes

Uni's

Post by stephenmartinweekes »

Hi
i've just been reading through other peoples post's re being turned down etc, it seems a lot of people are getting turned down, does anyone think it would be a good idea to ffer to volunteer at local hospital / hospice etc to show willing etc to the uni's we apply to ? what do you all think ?

stephen xxxx

kirst

Re: Uni's

Post by kirst »

Hi, although Uni's state that no experience is necessary - most of them like to see that you have made an effort and got off your butt and done some (tongue in cheek!) YES, try and get as much relevant experience as you can. You don't actually say which area you are studying for but it certainly looks better on your PS if you have put yourself out there.

Hope that helps X
Unsuccessful for 2010, roll on 2011........

stephenmartinweekes

brilliant, that what I thought, ita Nursing that im doing abd you ?
x

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Hi
I applied to my local hospital and even went on a study day and got the special t shirt with 'volunteer' on and went for a fitting. I never ever worked there !!! However it does look good on the Personal Statement and the universities like you to have at least approached organisations to show willing to volunteer. Also just a quick mention that you dont necessarily have to have nursing or midwifery or health experience. I was told by some universities that even working in a childrens centre for a few hours a week helping out with the co-ordination of the timetable, helping out with antenatal classes, helping with tea and coffee at a nursing home, helping the elderly with gardening or shopping. Then of course you have your volunteers on the wards on the maternity wards, the childrens ward, cleaning, making tea and toast, helping with maternity care assistants, helping in the kitchen, the canteen, bereavement support, samaritans, counselling courses, sign language courses, charity shops.....it all goes a long way....try to think of things are a bit different to make you stand out from the crowd......

I am a reflexologist, so my background is reflexology, i am also a baby massage instructor, i do indian head massage, holistic facials, reiki, sign language and i am first aid qualified and have an interest in waterbirth. You could add to your personal statement that you attended a waterbirth workshop (one next available in north west is 3rd July in Skelmersdale) but have a look locally in your area - or on google at local waterbirth workshops, first aid courses, if you are fundraiser add that to your PS. There are so many ideas that can help with your PS.

You need to add information on your PS that will make the reader think ' wow' lets get him/her in for interview.........leave them something they will remember you by.....
Also - when you write your PS - make sure you show what skills you have and how this will be transferable to nursing/paramedics/midwifery etc. I worked in/I worked as XXXXXXXX and my skills encouraged me to XXXXXXXXXXXX. My transferable skills are........................and this will support my role as a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX to enable me to be an ideal candidate for nursing.....etc.......just an idea.....
Hope this helps.
and good luck
xx
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

stephenmartinweekes

hi
thanks Tracey

that really has helped, I'm going to apply to the local hosp etc as I'm hoping to do nursing so fingers crossed I will get accepted LOL. If they dont then I will have to look at local hospices etc,

I bet you wrote a fantastic PS when it comes to doing mine I shall be talking to you for some more advice etc lol

xxx

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Hi
Thanks and you are more than welcome. I was fortunate to have received offers first time and got 3 offers. The 4th uni i applied to did not read my qualifications correctly and did not realise i did my maths through the DLC !!! So they offered me an interview when i corrected them and i turned them down - thinking if they cannot read the information correctly what sort of university is this !!! So i got offered 4 interviews - went for 3 of them and did the essays that were required and got 3 offers. So i was one of the lucky ones and count my lucky stars but i do feel it was all the prep prior to starting that helped (the courses i did prior to applying).

By all means contact me to chat about your PS - no worries and i can see if i can offer you more tips.
Good luck
:wink:
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

stephenmartinweekes

Thanks Trace, thats real kind of you x

nickymorris

Post by nickymorris »

Hey

Just thought i would advise not to leave it too late with getting the ball rolling for volunteer work i first enquired at Darent Valley Hospital in Kent back in March .

I then had to attend an interview, then an induction day, a health & safety lecture, an occupational medical examination, and on top of that im still waiting for CRB from 5 weeks ago, now they have no spaces on maternity and i will have to be a feeder on a granny ward until a vacancy turns up lol!! (no offence i love the olduns'!!)

Hoping to squeeze a few months in before applying in September - are you from essex then?

Nicky x

stephenmartinweekes

ohhhhhhhhhhh i best get on with it then and apply lol................................................... yh im from colchester in Essex. Well im doing nursing lol so i best get use to feeding a granny hahaha xxxx

NataliaL

Post by NataliaL »

Hi there,
Hope you don't mind me joining in :)
I have decided to do some voluntary work before September also. I did enquiry few hospitals about that and gave up, as most of them said that it will take months to even get me started, especially that I want something with children, as I have other care experience already (mental health hospital, nursing home, drug and alcohol detox) however at them moment I am working for HMRC (so far from caring proffession). My second choice was Home Start, but again similar thing. In the mean time I did register with Bliss charity (premature, sick babies charity) and doing voluntary work for them on the helpline for parents who are struggling with having baby in NICU or after discharge they need extra support and advice, admin and whatever needs doing (I have had premature baby myself so I was "using" their support for ages so now it is time to give something back). Currently I just signed up with Sure Start (no problems as they really appreciate volunteers) but I was told that the CRB will take ages also! I hope I will be able to start before September!
Do you guys think that will be enough to get into Children's Nursing?
I agree with Nicky don't delay it and apply asap :)
Good luck with everything
Natalia xxx
Hopefully will be Children's Nursing student next year! :)

nickymorris

Post by nickymorris »

HI Natalia

OMG i think you have some brilliant experience and a strong application - you clearly have a great passion and enthusiasm for child nursing and it really comes across even in a message so im sure all the volunteer helplines and charity stuff will send you in good stead for a place at uni..

I started a breastfeeding support course with surestart about 4 weeks ago, its just one morning a week for 9 weeks then i will be a peer supporter visiting mums ante-natally to discuss their feeding options, offering help and advice, then follow up appointments after the birth to help with any doubts or anxiousness whilst they are breatfeeding (this involves one day a week being on call 24hrs a day) lol! not overly keen on that bit with 3 young children myself i love my sleep!! but like you i went thru a tough time so its only fair to help others time x

The good thing is by the time the 9 week course is finished the CRB will be through and i will be good to go!

Also a bit worrying, there are immunisations you have to have like hepatitus A & B and at the occupational health appointment the nurse could not find my TB scar on my left arm so does not believe i had it!! I assured her that i did cos i remember it bloody hurting like hell lol but now i have to now go see a TB nurse....god what else do they surely want from us blood lol!!!

Good luck and keep us posted...
Nickyx

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

Hi all,
I rceived a post advertising a care home in America, but some of the info they put on it could be useful to you so here is an abridged copy of the post. Karen

"I applied to my local hospital and even went on a study day and got the special t shirt with 'volunteer' on and went for a fitting. I never ever worked there !!! However it does look good on the Personal Statement and the universities like you to have at least approached organisations to show willing to volunteer. Also just a quick mention that you dont necessarily have to have nursing or midwifery or health experience. I was told by some universities that even working in a childrens centre for a few hours a week helping out with the co-ordination of the timetable, helping out with antenatal classes, helping with tea and coffee at a nursing home, helping the elderly with gardening or shopping. Then of course you have your volunteers on the wards on the maternity wards, the childrens ward, cleaning, making tea and toast, helping with maternity care assistants, helping in the kitchen, the canteen, bereavement support, samaritans, counselling courses, sign language courses, charity shops.....it all goes a long way....try to think of things are a bit different to make you stand out from the crowd......

You need to add information on your PS that will make the reader think ' wow' lets get him/her in for interview.........leave them something they will remember you by.....
Also - when you write your PS - make sure you show what skills you have and how this will be transferable to nursing/paramedics/midwifery etc. I worked in/I worked as XXXXXXXX and my skills encouraged me to XXXXXXXXXXXX. My transferable skills are........................and this will support my role as a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX to enable me to be an ideal candidate for nursing.....etc.......just an idea....."
DLC Executive Director

savimakwo

Post by savimakwo »

the volunteer helplines and charity stuff will send you in good stead for a place at uni..

Return to “Applying to Universities and HEIs”