Biology, Homeostasis Q2 Part 1

PETER

Biology, Homeostasis Q2 Part 1

Post by PETER »

:wtf:

I am working on Q2 Part 1 of the homeostasis module. it appears to me that there is a clash in requirements between the question, the descriptors and the notes on how to answer.

This does not cover all areas requested, i actually wrote 470 words and have had to thin this out removing a lot of points just to meet the word count so feeling a bit stressed that, not only can i not put in all i wanted to say to chase a merit or distinction but i have apparently got to remove more to meet both the notes and the descriptors criterion.

i have also spotted what i believe two errors in the in the study materials for question 1, the DLC materials state that the term "homeostasis" was first used in 1930 and derives from two words "homeos" and "stasis", but with my own research into the etymology of the term, it states that the word was first coined in 1926 and derives from "homeo" and "stasis". i have included this information in my answer to question 1 but am now unsure as to which research is correct. could anyone please give guidance on this?

Kind regards.

Pete.

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Biology, Homeostasis Q2 Part 1

Post by Karen Hayday »

Hi Pete,

Really sorry but it is not a good idea to put all the information you have in an open post on the forum so I have had to delete a lot of it but i am sending your original questions to Pam who is the curriculum leader for science and she will answer you.

Sorry about that

Karen
DLC Executive Director

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

Hi Peter,

This ithe reply from Pam,

In the completion notes it says it says"cover how important these processes are rather than just describing the processes" so you still include the processes, but in addition you should cover why it is improtant and how effective it is.

And for you answers

I cannot give precise feedback apart from saying that your answer is at least at a pass level, as this is an assessment. However I do think you could be more concise in your explanations.

Last bit

The term was first used in 1930 by Walter Cannon according to Scientific American, but I'm sure there are different dates on the internet. 1930 may have been the date of publication but he may have used the term in lectures. It is not a relevant fact for your answer to TAQ 1, there are more important things to consider to answer the question.

I hope I have clarified the points for you, do let me know if you would like to discuss further.

Pam Leach
Curriculum Leader Science

Hope that this helps
Karen
DLC Executive Director

PPoskitt
DLC Moderator

Post by PPoskitt »

Hi Peter,

How are you getting on with this particular question? Are there any particular areas you're still struggling with?

As per Karen; make sure not to copy too much of the actual questions/module into the open forums - as to not provide an unfair advantage to others who may have not started/completed this module yet.

If more specific, feel free to drop a DM.

All the best :thumbup:
Phil [ DLC Moderator ]

- Access to Paramedicine 2014 -
- FAB 5 Award Winner August 2015 -

| Paramedic | McPara | SCST Affiliate |
Admin of @PreHospECG (Twitter) & '12-Lead ECG: I've Got the Rhythm' (Facebook)

Return to “Ascentis Biology and Human Phys”