I'm a student midwife!

Find out what happens after the course. What is it like at University? What about careers after that.
dagrowler

I'm a student midwife!

Post by dagrowler »

Hello,

just having a look round and saw this bit so i thought i'd post on here, i finished my DLC course in July and started at uni in Sept. There's no way i'd have been able to get into uni if it hadn't been for DLC, i simply wouldn't have been able to quit work and go to college.

Anyway, uni is AMAAAAAZING!!! and so so so so so worth it, Every single day i am amazed at the stuff i'm doing. It's brill. I really freaked myself out while i was doing DLC and thought i was too thick etc etc etc.

Any questions about DLC or uni, or applications etc. Gizza shout!

ellekaye

Re: I'm a student midwife!

Post by ellekaye »

Nice to meet you!
Which Uni are you attending? I'm a little worried about the gore of it all and wonder if that's normal and if it's just about become desensitised to it with time? What's your favourite thing? etc

Glad to hear your loving it!

dagrowler

Post by dagrowler »

Well to be honest i haven't seen much gore yet... the girl i'm on placement with saw a PPH the other day though and she said the adrenalin at the time meant that she didn't really feel weird about the gore.

I imagine you would get desensitized to it if you're squeamish. :)

It's ruddy brill, nice to meet you too! I'm at Brookes.

ellekaye

Post by ellekaye »

Sorry to sound thick, but I'm guessing PPH = post partum.... haemorrhage? hehe

I have my interview at Brookes on 9th Dec! I went to Oxford for the first time over the long weekend in October and loved it! Would definitely be happy living in Oxford for three years. One girl I work with went to Brookes (psyc) and her friends were doing Mid.. and she said they loved it. It's one of the best in the country (I'm sure you know that!!)

How is the uni - supportive etc? I think you're the first person I've met currently there (so all the questions). I'm not sure what to expect with the maths and essay? Maths in terms of depth I should focus on in revision - like how much do they expect you to know? And essay I'm assuming is a current issue/why do you want to scenario if I am to guess.

So excited!

dagrowler

Post by dagrowler »

ellekaye wrote:Sorry to sound thick, but I'm guessing PPH = post partum.... haemorrhage? hehe

I have my interview at Brookes on 9th Dec! I went to Oxford for the first time over the long weekend in October and loved it! Would definitely be happy living in Oxford for three years. One girl I work with went to Brookes (psyc) and her friends were doing Mid.. and she said they loved it. It's one of the best in the country (I'm sure you know that!!)

How is the uni - supportive etc? I think you're the first person I've met currently there (so all the questions). I'm not sure what to expect with the maths and essay? Maths in terms of depth I should focus on in revision - like how much do they expect you to know? And essay I'm assuming is a current issue/why do you want to scenario if I am to guess.

So excited!
PPH = correct!!

Oh yay! that's fab news, there's a few going for that interview i think... I LOVE brookes, it's awesome, loads of lush facilities, have you been to visit the uni yet?

Uni is soooo supportive, really lovely lecturers who you can totally go to if you had any problems and not worry about them. It's nice, because there's so few people on the course it's really close nit and lush.

Hmm my fave part at the moment is doing antenatal care. I just find it so amazing that these women have a whole tiny person in them. It's amazing.

Mrsjprice
Site Admin

Post by Mrsjprice »

Congrats on becoming a student midwife! Sounds like your loving it, I cant wait till i get there!
X

ellekaye

Post by ellekaye »

Yay! Sounds great and I can't wait!

jenster12

Post by jenster12 »

Did you need to get mainly distinctions to get onto midwifery? and did u struggle to get the grades you needed?

mrssez

Post by mrssez »

Hi,

I am totally bowled over by all your posts - you sound like you are having a wonderful time! I have just had my 2nd baby & definately know this is what i want to do.

I have just found the DLC & am about to enrol in the Access to midwifery. It says on here that you get 60 credits, but I want to reply to Bouremouth Uni, where the site says I need 300 points. Do you know if these are the same thing? or are credits higher then points?

Sorry to ask a really silly question!

Thanks,

Sarah xx

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

Lookk at what they are asking for for Access 300 points is for A level.

All the best

Karen
DLC Executive Director

mrssez

Post by mrssez »

Karen,

This is what B'mouth Uni says:
"For 2011 entry: 300 points, with 200 from 2 A-levels or equivalent, of which 100 must be from a preferred science subject.
Advanced Diplomas in some subjects may be considered"

Will this access course give me this?

Sarah

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

Give them a ring and ask them what you will need for an Access diploma, they will ask for so many passes, merits or distinctions. Access Diplomas do not come in points they come in credits.

All the best

Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

Return to “Ask our ex-students”