Student Midwife ! Madwife!

Find out what happens after the course. What is it like at University? What about careers after that.
Tracey

Student Midwife ! Madwife!

Post by Tracey »

Hi
started today too!
GULP!
Oh my word! Everyone seems so lovely. I still have to sometimes pinch myself considering there were 600 applicants and only 23 places !!

Knackered now though!
Catch you later
x
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

Leese

Post by Leese »

Ah wow - 600 applicants and 23 places and you are in!

Hope you are having the best time!

Well done!

Leese xx

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Thanks Leese
This week are just doing inductions all week as it is freshers week. Lots of health and safety stuff, equal opps stuff and timetables and meeting everyone. Lots of sitting in lecture halls and then having chats with colleagues and drinking coffee at the mo! LOL!
Next week the hard work begins and in 4 weeks out on placement! We have uniform fitting tomorrow and we find out about placements on friday!
GULP!
:?

xx
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

sarah13265

Post by sarah13265 »

Hi Tracey,

It all sounds fab!

I bet you can't wait to start your first placement.
Will it be with a community midwife?

Enjoy yourself - don't forget to keep us up to date.

Best of luck

Sarah x

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Hi Sarah
Thanks
It is proving to be a challenge when it comes to childcare - that is my main problem. Already I am going to miss my little boys harvest festival - hubby will be going instead if nothing crops up between now and then. And already he has been off school sick. So hubby has had to 'work from home'. But also the hours of just starting at 9 is proving a pain as he starts school at 8.50 and it is blackmarked against you if you are late and it has been taking me 45 mins to get to uni this week as the traffic has been horrendous and it is only 16 miles away!
So it is proving to be hard - and i am only 3 days in. So time will tell.
Will just have to make use of the morning breakfast clubs if i need to aswell. The real challenge is when i have to be on placement at 7am and hubby has to be on a 6am train to london! Who will take little one to school? Family are useless - get more sense out of a chocolate toaster! They just do not want to help. Thank god for friends and neighbours eh!
I am on placement in our 4th/5th week not sure where yet find out friday.
Good luck with your modules.
x
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

sarah13265

Post by sarah13265 »

Hi Tracey,

I hope everything settles down for you.

I will have it all to come to if I manage to be successful in gaining a place at uni.
I am already thinking about it - as like you I don't have any help from
family - and my partners job involves a lot of travelling.

I think I would have to rely on school clubs too for my three children - or find a very flexible childminder.

I'm sure everything will work out fine.

Speak to you later
Sarah x

wannabemidwife

Post by wannabemidwife »

Hi Tracey,

Glad you have got going.

It's typical that Ben's been poorly and things seem a bit awkward but i'm sure it will work it self out, take each day as it comes :D

From the sounds of it me you and sarah seem to have the same problem with childcare - no help!!! it's not going to stop me though!!

Speak soon

Lisa x

sarah13265

Post by sarah13265 »

It's not going to stop me either!

Sarah x

Leese

Post by Leese »

Me neither! lol!

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Hi
Managed so far - so far so good! One day at a time. My advice - when you get your timetable - prepare, prepare, prepare.
Get afterschool clubs sorted, as many people as you can to help out. You will get your time table well in advance. I already know my 3 year timetable in terms of holidays etc. we already have times and dates up to Christmas when we will be on placement and when in uni - on placement in 2 weeks and that will work out 3 days on placement and 2 days uni.

They are very strict on attendance and they drum into you about jobs at the end of your placement - about how important it is to not miss any time off as employers will look down on it - even if you get a 1st class honours !!

So plan in advance - finances, childcare and sleep !! next instalment soon...........................
x
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

sarah13265

Post by sarah13265 »

Hi Tracey,

Really pleased everything is working out for you.

Keep us up to date.

Sarah x

Tracey

Re: Student Midwife ! Madwife!

Post by Tracey »

Hi all
Update...................Week 20 starts on Monday. Back on community. Been on community and delivery so far and loved delivery. Witnessed 4 births so far - and had hands on with the 4th. Done a few PKU's heel prick tests, loads of BP's and got it sussed now! i think! done lots of auscultations - listen to me getting all professional !!! (using a pinard), lots of palpations, millions in fact. Getting to know positioning of babe which is fab. Witnessed 2 c/sections, one was a very scary moment as babe was not breathing initially but after about 5 seconds was ok and i had to rush and get resuss trolley!! All fine though.

Have a reading week on 23rd Feb and then on delivery for 5 weeks......cannot wait !! Mentors so far have been fab......tutors have been fab......two girls have left our cohort. Some days you feel the pressure with thinking ' how the heck can i learn all this' but it somehow fits into place when you put the theory to practice.

It is just blinkin' fab.

Childcare - it has been a challenge - but so far worked out ok with afterschool club, and hubby working from home on odd days when little one sick. Ben has been sick now i think 5 ocassions since september - low immune system, etc........so we have to be careful with his health. But it looks as if there is someone up there maybe looking out for me.....and maybe, just maybe this is my destiny......!!

you will find some challenging relationships at uni but just remember we cannot get on with everyone all the time but saying that i have made some long life friends.

We are currently waiting the results of our 1st essay ( i did 1st stage of labour! ) and we are now preparing to do a mock presentation in a group of 4 or 5, ready to do a presentation on our own - for 20 mins !!! AAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

We are also having to do 2 x 1,5000 word essays too! So very challenging but love every minute.

For those of you who are waiting to start and have had interviews or offers for sept or this march - just remember to do all your ironing and housework before hand as you will not have time in the 3 years with this degree!!! I often have to re-introduce myself to my hubby but it makes life interesting!!! What a great job.

Also for those of you who are thinking about independent midwifery - here is a ray of hope. I was lucky enough to witness in Feb of last year a homebirth as a reflexologist - the midwife was fab. Insurance is a problem right now but soon there will be private indemnity insurance in place for indies - and up north there is a group of independent midwives who i know who are waiting as we speak to get word regarding a contract with NHS....this will enable NQM's to apply and be on a salary with them......therefore this means mums will not have to pay for an indie to help with the delivery it will be on the NHS! How fab is that!

Watch this space for more news...you heard it here first.......

Will up date you soon.....
Good luck to those waiting to hear.

Trace x
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

stacetheace

Post by stacetheace »

thanks tracey, that was wonderful to read and well done. i bet it feels so surreal to come back on here and be a student midwife! this is where it all started for you!!! its so lovely to read thankyou, and to be honest it seems surreal to imagine me being a student midwife! although it does worry me having to do a
presentation for 20 minutes! is that on your own or with a group!! i would dread it if it was solo!
im waqiting to hear if i have an interview from UEA so i should hear something b next thursday i im lucky,next thursday is the 4th week of applying! fingers crossed.
anyay thenks again and i look forward to reading more cheers hun x :D
i want to be a midwife!!

ellekaye

Post by ellekaye »

Tracey,

It really is so nice to hear about how things are going for you. Not in a morbid way, but it's kinda like you're our long lost friend who has passed onto Heaven and returns to us to tell us how great Heaven is, what it looks like etc and getting us so excited just to get there! lol. I hope that makes sense!

It must feel surreal that this time last year you were completing your access course and now... your an SM!!

Keep the posts coming. Loving them!

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Hi guys

Thanks for your posts. The group presentation to practice is 10 mins with 4 of us. But the one in May is me on my own for 20 mins !!!

I know what you mean about the heaven thing - it sounded so nice i read it to my hubby who said "aaahhhh" !! ITG was a nice analagy!

Yes i will of course update you. It is fab and if i can do it wondering how i would manage with childcare, worrying in the earlier days and panicking about how we will cope, then anyone can....it just goes to show that if you want something so badly enough it is possible. So far i have not had a single day off sick. There was one time when my little boy was pushed over in school and landed on his face and as you can imagine was a mess so i was due in uni that afternoon but could not go. So i made up for it (we were doing basic life support) and i did it the following week. So since september have not missed a single day so far on placement or in uni. So it can be done. :)

Right off now - i am on community tomorrow and need to get to bed! :|

Update you soon. good luck xxxx
Trace x
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

Return to “Ask our ex-students”