Student Midwife ! Madwife!

Find out what happens after the course. What is it like at University? What about careers after that.
ellekaye

Re: Student Midwife ! Madwife!

Post by ellekaye »

Try not to stress about the presentation!
I completed presentation skills training at work last year and before we even had the training we were to present to the others in the training on a topic of our choice for 10 mins. As it was on something I knew about, 10 mins was easy peasy! Not to mention it was filmed! 20 mins sounds like a lot until you realise how much you have to cover!

Sounds like fun :)

kirtiagnihotri

Post by kirtiagnihotri »

Hi,

This is my very 1st time on this forum, I just wanted some advise. I am really intrested in Midwifery , i am 35 yers old have 2 boys 1 aged 3 and one aged 1. I am working part-time and would need to be on some income if i were to get into Uni at start the course.
I can see women are coping with going to Uni and also being a wife and mother - but i am worried how i will come.
Afterclubs and nurseries cost money and money is tight - because you dont get any money whilst on the course so how would i afford the childcare!!!

I am so stuck and i really want to start the DLC so i can think about going to uni and doing by dream job.

Please please help?

Thanks love K

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

It is great that you are still on here Tracey, and that everything is goog well, do keep in touch

All the best

Karen x
DLC Executive Director

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Hi all

Just wanted to update you again. And also reply to the post from kirtiagnihotri.

I am now almost at the end of my 2nd year and boy what a relief !!!

Kirtiagnihotri - I am 37 with a 5 year old and 16 year old. We have very little child care (please see my post from earlier as i mention it on there), however we pay £5 per day for our afterschool club. Explain to them that you are a student and that you need them to be flexible with you. That is what i did. Usually they would charge me when my little boy is there or not to keep his place open but on a weekly basis i tell them when he needs it. For example i was off on a personal development week last week and he did not need to go in - this week he is in for 4 days. They must be flexible with you really it is only fair, but some arent.

Money - you will get a bursary which is means tested - based on any salary that is within the household. My hubby is on a high salary fortunately, so we get very little help financially, so as he pays for everything it sometimes is a strain, however i am also a reflexologist, and i do reiki, indian head massage, reiki, holistic facials and i am also a baby massage instructor so i can make a bit of extra money too. As a student working 16 hours or less the money does not need to be declared - as the inland revenue have advised but have chat to them about work and the hours you are allowed. You could work a few hours but to be honest some days i have to cancel clients as the workload is heavy. Doing a full time degree, having children, having a life that calls the ironing, cooking, cleaning, and generally sleeping plus the 37.5 hours and the studying is tough but manageable providing you manage your time well.

Depending on your circumstances you will get help, so if you are a single parent, with no salary of any kind coming in and need help with mortgage and bills there is help out there. Speak to the student finance department - there is a website too - do a google search and they can answer all your questions. You can also apply for childcare bursary and dependants allowance. Loans are available at uni - which is what i am receiving. Works out about £770 x 3 times in the year. The bursary works out about £200 per month for my circumstances which helps with petrol, however you can get expenses paid for depending on your placement. (petrol). Some people are getting as much as £6,000. bursary per year. Every case is different. We have girls on the course with mortgages who are single parents and have cars to run, with no finances saved and no help from family and they are coping. It can be done.

Advice - Dont leave essays til last minute, print work off when you get it, do the directed work at home when you get it, dont have work piling up. There are some girls on my course who have not sorted out their portfolios for interviews with tutors, mine were done as i had the work. They were busy doing theirs last week whilst i had the week to catch up with friends, watch a film (!), go to the cinema, cook !!! spend time with children.

You must have time for you though too.

With regards to the course. I have worked on community, neonatal unit, theatre, gynae, delivery, postnatal soon and i love it. It is very daunting to know i am a 3rd year in sept and i am doing my final module in my 2nd year, but how scary yet exciting.

My academic work has improved, that presentation i was worried about - 72% which is equivalent to a 2:1 in terms of classification. That'll do for me !!! Just sat my 2nd year exam, and had to do a breastfeeding essay.

The girls at the uni are fab, the colleagues and friends you make there are for life. No you dont get on with everyone but that is life. I hope to ignore the bad practice seen out there, and take the good with me, and mold myself into the midwife i aspire to be from working with all those fabulous mentors who are still thriving and buzzing from the job.

Each day is a challenge, we take blood, venepuncture, or give injections (IM's), a woman is entrusting us with her care. It is scary especially now as we are being taught resuscitation and post partum haemorrhage and emergencies but fantastic at the same time.

We are due to go on elective placements in Oct/Nov - some of us are staying in the UK and some are going abroad. This has to be self funded.

Emotions run high sometimes and there are days i feel i cannot do this, but then i slap myself and tell myself i can do this and i will.

So for all those people doubting their ability as i have, for those people who did not do so well at school, just like me, for those people who may have had people put you down saying you cannot do this you are not clever enough - sod em, do it, go for it , we can do this, and dont ever look back.

Good luck
Will write back soon
Best wishes
Tracey :D
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

cheshirecheese

Post by cheshirecheese »

Thanks for updating
I first read your posts when I joined the DLC last year and I'm glad to hear you're doing well
Thanks

gabby

Post by gabby »

HI my name is Gabriella and i was wondering did you study the Access to Midwifery course? and if you did how did you find it? Did you get the full qualification in the end and do you have any advice for an aspiring midwife.

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Hi Gabby

Yes i did the Access to Midwifery course and i found it easy to start with then i did the maths and hated it and wanted to give up (if being totally honest) but i am not a quitter so i plodded on with the support of my tutor. I got over that hurdle and then enjoyed the rest of the modules. I did my course in about 8 months. It is a QAA approved Access course well recognised by all the universities. The only thing i will say is that it did not prepare me for the intense essays that are quite gruelling at times at uni. That could be the naievity (have i spelt that right!!) on my part and not necessarily the distancelearning centre. It did not really dawn on me how important the references are and my first assignment at uni was a fail due to my essay format and lack of refs.......this was a positive learning curve and now i aspire to do well in all my essays and make sure my references are spot on. (Harvard ref system).

So the best advice i can give you is to make sure you practice with referencing - they are hot on refs and they could make or break the essay, it could be a fail if you dont get it right. I would recommend not printing off the Harvard system if that is what you are advised to use as it gets updated so often. I would advise you do some voluntary work in any field really, but if you wanted to do midwifery related voluntary work maybe go into your local hospital and ask them about voluntary work and training. I got offered a place at my local hospital and added this to my personal statement when i applied via UCAS and it went along way - hence i was offered 4 interviews and got offered 3 places - the other place i pulled out once i was offered the interview as i was already offered the 3 places elsewhere closer to home.

I would say that the support i received from my tutor was fantastic (Thankyou Karen!) and she was always there at the end of the phone. Make the most of the contact you receive as this is important, and some days you will need the support more than other days and some people need the support more than other people. Dont rush the course, do it in your own time, but do give yourself a goal with a set date - say 8 - 10 months. It is hard to do with work and children, and i ran my own small business at the time, however it is all worth it. Time management is key. Setting yourself time every day or every other day is important, but dont forget you need some 'me' time away from studies to keep you sane!!

Contact me any time for a chat - I am always happy to help.

The course - go for it - what have you got to lose.......nothing - and everything to gain and a well recognised course too ! Good luck, take care
Trace x :)
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

efzed

Post by efzed »

Hi Tracy

I know its been 3 months since you have wrote on this forum but I was reading all your previous posts and I really enjoyed it :D . Its great to get some feedback and experience from current students. After debating whether to do midwifery for the past 3 years, I finally got the courage to just go for it! :lol: I'm going to start the access course soon and hoping to finish it by June. (Although I can never stick to one thing - so I just HOPE with some support I can finish it)

I am just worried about the group session interview and doing presentations in class! :oops: I have gained a lot of self confidence in the past 3 years from teaching children and a local community school but it still frightens me. It should be easier once you know everyone in class right?

I hope I can get through the access course. I'm good when it comes to writing, as long as I have a lot of information to work with but I'm already worried about referencing! I know its not hard but it just seems soo time consuming and complicated. I also wanted to know if you knew what sort of financial help would be available for me. I'm 22 years old (will be 23 if I start next year) not working and I live with my parents who have a business. I was under the impression that NHS pays for the midwifery course?

Regarding other people at uni, I know you wouldn't get along with everyone but surely they can't be that bad right? That kind of thing worries me too :( because that's one reason I didn't like school.

Sorry for going on! You must be excited to start uni again! Hope the last year goes well :)

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Hi efzed

Yeah it is daunting in my final year now. 10 months to go!!

I am currently on Delivery suite and it is still scary.

With reference to your questions and queries: You dont get along with everyone and that happens in all walks of life in any field of work, but you just need to be professional and respectful of people and they will treat you the same. Personalities sometimes dont mix well and now we are in our 3rd year we are seeing less of eveyone in our cohort but it is nice to see people when we do meet. Now in our 3rd year people are starting to be a little more confident (maybe a little cocky!!!) too !! Peoples personalities are coming out now !!! But that is a good thing too.

Referencing is not great. My advice - do it as you go along. Keep a list of the references on a separate page on word and you will have a running list as you go along. Even now i get it wrong with refs.....but there is a huge chunk of marks to lose if you get the refs wrong. On my very first assignment i failed due to refs......so dont have them hanging over you at the end of an assignment do them as you go along and before you know it you are done!

Finances - you will be means tested - or rather your parents will i think......as you are dependent upon them for your food and board. You will get all the relevant information when you approach uni......you will get a bursary too. I am 37 and have a husband on a good salary so i get the very minimum. But I have applied for a student loan with the student finance department which you will find online and i have applied for that every year and got accepted. Plus the benefit is that you only pay it back when you are earning £15,000 or more and on a very low APR. So even if you work only part time or on the 'Bank' or temporary contract the payments are so low.

Dont worry you will be fine. The access course will fly by and before you know it you will be ready to qualify. Blimey where have those three years gone!!

Right best be off - got a long day ahead of me tomorrow! A 12 hour shift !!

Bye for now
Tracey :D
Trace
2nd year student midwife
15/40 deliveries
x

poppyseed

Post by poppyseed »

Hi ,
I am wondering if you could roughly give me some info. I am wanting to know what the times roughly are for eve shifts, early shifts, etc etc??? I am hoping to start in sep on the midwifery course and wanting to get everything organised now with childcare and alsorts!!
Also how are you finding it all?
How far along the degree are you now?
Any help would be great.

many thanks :):)
Currently loving university......so excited for the next three years.!!

lauraben1302

Post by lauraben1302 »

hi guys it's me Tracey.......now using Lauraben1302 as my username! I have posted an update on the welcome board to update my story as I am now a qualified midwife !!!!! Scary!!!

I have a couple of weeks to chill so I will be on here to chat if anyone is around xx

lauraben1302

Post by lauraben1302 »

hi poppyseed
In answer to your questions, sorry for the delay.........

The shifts at hospitals I worked were as follows:

Earlies......7 til 2.30, 7.30 til 3pm, give or take 15 mins or so....
Lates.........1.30 til 9pm, 1.45 til 9.15 again give or take
Long days usually consist of those times in-between...... So 7am til 9pm......14 hours......however you DO NOT have to commit to these....you have the right to say no particularly if you have family.......they have to be family friendly......if they insist then you can speak to your uni......

Nights........usually 10 hour shifts where I worked......9pm til 7ish......occasionally left at 6 if quiet......but be careful doing these .......I drove home sometimes and don't remember driving 45 mins home.....through 42 sets of traffic lights! Yes I know.....I counted one day......eat sensibly, get plenty of breaks.....yes I know your women need you, but you cannot give excellent care if you are frazzled with no tea break, no wee break and no food! I always tried to get at least 15 mins........each shift.......and sometimes got too many breaks if quiet......however you need to eat properly and drink otherwise you will get midwives bladder!

Be kind to yourself too and make time for you! Time manage your work properly.....don't leave assignment research til last minute......make time for friends and family, partner and kids......be conscientious but you must be kind to yourself!

childcare, I was lucky to have a partner who could work from home occasionally, but also worked away so sometimes I had to swap a shift. There were times where we got off duty the night/day before. This is not acceptable as you need to plan.....so if this happens speak to uni as they are suppose to all be family friendly.......if this does not get resolved speak to your shift leader or supervisor.

Advice also........if you come across unprofessional behaviour towards yourself......ignore it.....you get some staff who do not like students, they have short memories, however if it is not sitting right with you.....report it......likewise if you have positive times.....cherish them and take them with you........most of the staff are great.....I found when midwives spoke down to me I either gave them the look or I replied with a comment that left them openmouthed.....in a respectful way! Another occasion I was warned of a midwife who was hard work....but wanted to judge for myself.......she was horrible on my first day......so I changed that ........I ignored her and a raised eyebrow and a reply of 'really, mmmmm' did the trick after that we got on great! There was a mutual respect. Im an ex copper, so no messing! Do not put up with behaviour from either a midwife, another student colleague, a consultant or shift leader who speaks down to you. I found some health care assistants were the worst. Give respect and mostly you will have it back twofold. Any further info.....just shout!

Just enjoy every minute....it will fly by......
Take care
trace x

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

Great information Trace, it will be sooo helpful to lots of our students

Karen :D
DLC Executive Director

Return to “Ask our ex-students”