thought i would pop back to say 'hi'

Find out what happens after the course. What is it like at University? What about careers after that.
michelle

thought i would pop back to say 'hi'

Post by michelle »

Hi Everyone

Most of you are too new to remember me, but the likes of Mrsjprice might, as I was studying my access course at the same time as her.

So I started my Paramedic Science degree in Sept 2009 and I only have 12 weeks of my course left and then, hopefully if i pass my final exams, i will be out there as a qualified paramedic in September this year.

Its beena tough road though I have to say, my husband passed away only 2 moths after starting the degree so I have effectiely been managing as a single parent ever since. What with all the studying and the night shifts and weekend day shifts i am absolutley shattered to say the least.

But, for all the bad stuff, I can honestly say that life is looking good, have a fantastic new fella, nearly qualified in a job i LOVE and have a wonderful and amazing 7 year old lol.

So to all of you who think that fitting in the study is hard and is it really worth it, then take it from me the answer is YES, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and before you know it you'll get to where you want to be

Michelle
x

loldiz

Re: thought i would pop back to say 'hi'

Post by loldiz »

Thanks for that Michelle, I appreciate that and I'm sure lots of others will too. I'm pleased to hear you are doing so well, congratulations.

Mrsjprice
Site Admin

Post by Mrsjprice »

I remember you! :)

Thanks for giving us an update!

I'm glad it's all working out for you and sorry to hear about your sadness along the way.

Good luck with it all.

Jade
Xx

michelle

Post by michelle »

Lol - its nice to be remembered Jade.

How are things going with you - are you on a course yet? There are too many threads to try and find out so asking you is probably wiser :)

Mrsjprice
Site Admin

Post by Mrsjprice »

I wish I was!

This was my third year applying and got rejected again. At least this year it was just because there wasnt enough spaces.

I don't mind waiting as I'm quite content.

I'm pregnant again so wouldn't of been able to take up a place if got offered, I'm running a new midwifery website and organising study days.

So all in all I'm pretty sweet, :)

michelle

Post by michelle »

Oh thats a little pants for you though Jade, I know you'll be wanting to crack on, but you definitely sound like you are keeping busy doing other things.

Congrats on the baby - I have just spent a week in the delivery suite at GRH for experience of delivering babies, scary business is midwifery, i think i will stick with my ambulance lol. Big respect to midwives after that 40 hours I can tell you.

I am sure you will get your place soon enough, had a little look at your website, looks good though its al a little spanish to me, like i said, babies scare me lol :lol:

Mrsjprice
Site Admin

Post by Mrsjprice »

Haha thanks.

Midwifery scares me sometimes the thought of all that accountability eek!

How you feeling about qualifying? Will you be driving orin the back? Me.. I don't know nowt about paramedics lol.

michelle

Post by michelle »

Feel a little bit overwhelmed to be honest - i dont like the thought of someone just handing me a radio and a set of keys and sending me out into the world for a whole 12 hours on my own. But i guess I really wanna get out there at the same time.

I will be able to drive or attend, it would depend on the patients condition and the clinical grade of my crew mate. for the most part we alternate, so i would drive, then attend, then drive etc, unless the patient was unstable or required morphine etc, then I would have to be with the patient as the clinical lead.

i have changed my mind - I am going to get anice safe job at tesco :shock:

Mrsjprice
Site Admin

Post by Mrsjprice »

Lol I'm sure your be fine!

I guess it's one of those jobs where they can try and prepare you for as many scenarios as possible in uni, but in reality life is just so unpredictable you have to learn on the job!

Your be fine, give it a couple of shifts and your be the dogs bollocks :) are you going in full or part time?

What about when your sitting around, no emergencies etc, surely that has to be dead boring no?

michelle

Post by michelle »

I shall reserve judgement as to how good i will be, and no, scenario land is nothing like real life. All very well doing ALS in a nice calm environment on a dummy, but walk into a house where everyone is screaming and looking at you to fix it, all that means diddly squat.

The sitting around can be a little dull, but there is coffee and a tv and snoozing too so I can always pass the time. Usually i stick the kettle on and the radio goes telling me to go somewhere and do something.

The plan is to go full time at the moment, Am going to be moving in with the other half when i qualify and we are going to hire a nanny or similar as he works shifts too so all my wages will go on childcare, but its not a job to get rich in so i guess theres no loss there.

Mrsjprice
Site Admin

Post by Mrsjprice »

As long as it's something you enjoy and want to do and you don't end up out of pocket it'll all be good lol.

Well it's been lovely to catch up with you and I hope all goes well. I am off to bed, the morning sickness has got the better of me today and I need my beauty sleep as I don't seem to 'bloom' lol.

Good luck!
Jade
Xx

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Post by Rhia Hayday »

Hi Michelle!
I don't often look over on this thread, and I'm so glad I did! It's fantastic that you've nearly finished (bloody hell how time flies eh). I was really sorry to read about your husband, but so pleased how things have turned out for you. Well done with everything - did you ever do a Hall of Fame post? You definitely should when you're fully qualified and whizzing around saving lives - email me if you want to do that. It's such an achievement, and I know that current students would really appreciate it :mrgreen:
And Jade - congratulations on the bump! So sorry about this year - they're missing out, they really are
Curriculum Manager

michelle

Post by michelle »

Hi Rhia

It's mental how time flies lol. I did do a hall of fame post , way back in 2009 i think so may have been lost in the vastness of time by now.If i manage to pass my final exams then I shall let you know and if you want me to do another one then I will.

In the meantime i guess i had better get on and do some more work, trying to wade through the results of a literature search before i lose the will to live. I never did like research and stats lol

Michelle
x

Rhia Hayday
Head of Humanities & Lvl3 Comms

Post by Rhia Hayday »

I would LOVE you to do another one! Ah the joys of being a student :) best of luck with the next couple of months - it'll fly by and all the stresses of Stats will never bother you again!!!
Curriculum Manager

Return to “Ask our ex-students”