Older men in mental health nursing?

Find out what happens after the course. What is it like at University? What about careers after that.
heavyhorse

Older men in mental health nursing?

Post by heavyhorse »

I'm curious to hear of the experiences of men who have taken a mentalhealth nursing course at university. I imagine if I did get accepted I would be very much in the minority as a bloke over 40. To be honest it is playing on my mind a lot, I'm not sure I could cope with the isolation of that.

Any thoughts anyone?

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Re: Older men in mental health nursing?

Post by Karen Hayday »

I would get in contact with the universities you are interested in and ask them about their demographics, you may be surprised by their response, as you may find that more men go into mental health work than you think.

Best wishes

Karen :)
DLC Executive Director

dvorag

Post by dvorag »

I've just started physiotherapy and I'm 40. I'm most definitely in the minority (no-one in my course is even close!), so I know what you're saying. You'll feel somewhat isolated if everyone is younger than you for sure. I'm in my 7th week of study and I certainly do - particularly being around all these young, fit bodies (a circumstance you probably won't have!). However, if this is what you want to do, feel the fear and do it anyway (as the saying goes).
The problem with demographics is that mature age students are classed as 21 years and over (crazy!!). So I'm not sure how much help it will be to research that, unless you can get them to say the actual age range.
I have to say I think my hang ups about my age and the course are more my hang-ups rather than the younger ones. Most of them have been pretty cool.
Also focus on what you gain, rather than the short-term (ie: how long you're studying for vs. work place environment) as if you really want to do this, the age-factor won't put you off!!
Good luck!!

MrJay87

Post by MrJay87 »

One thing you could perhaps do is attend open days at your desired universities. There you'll get to meet other students who are looking into going and you can also speak to lecturers about your concerns, I'm sure they'll put your mind at ease.

When I was studying nursing, some of our lectures would mix with the mental health cohort, and there was a good handful of students who were 30-50. Also, we had a friendship circle at uni of all ages. Don't let you age be a deciding factor about going to university. If you want to do it, go for it. I bet you'll be surprised by how well you fit in. It's a great environment.

Best of luck. :)
Access to HE (Science): Aug 2014 - June 2015 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Studying BSc Diagnostic Radiography - Sept 2015 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Devira

Post by Devira »

I recently had a uni interview for mental health nursing. I was really surprised that out of the 20 candidates on my selection day, there were only three under age 21. The remaining 17 all looked to be over about 30, with several rather older than myself (I'm 37). The other surprise was that 14 of the 17 older candidates were men.

I have no idea how representative these demographics are of who will end up accepted on the course, but basically my selection day was predominantly older men. I do wonder whether this was an unusually mature-weighted selection day as it was so early in this UCAS cycle, in that many of the sixth-formers may not have got their applications processed yet.

So you're definitely not alone!
37 year old single mum of two studying Access to Mental Health Nursing

Devira

Post by Devira »

Just as a follow-up to this post, in case others are in a similar position. I am now a month into Uni doing mental health nursing. About a quarter of our cohort are male, of a wide range of ethnic backgrounds. I don't think any of the men are over 40, but if one was they would certainly not be out of place. A few are in their thirties, as are several of the women, and lots in their mid-late twenties. Lots of us are parents too.

Our cohort really does span such a range of backgrounds in terms of ethnicity, culture, age and class etc, that really no-one should let such issues put them off. No-one would seem out of place!

Good luck anyone and just go for it.

Christine.
37 year old single mum of two studying Access to Mental Health Nursing

Karen Hayday
Director of Studies

Post by Karen Hayday »

Thanks Christine,

This is a really useful post as it shows what the cohort really looks like and will give a lot of people a boost when they see that they won't feel totally out of place.

How are you finding the course it would be really useful for current students to hear how other people are finding it at uni?

Best wishes and good luck in embarking on your new career and do keep in touch.

Karen :thumbup:
DLC Executive Director

Return to “Ask our ex-students”